Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Tightness in inner thigh muscle (runner)
steverb102362 posted:
I have been running since early April. Running about 30-35 miles (5-6x) per week. In the last couple months I've introduced speed workouts (tempo runs, intervals, reps), mostly on the track. I've notice in the past 2-3 weeks I'm experiencing tightness in my left inner thigh (the adductors). Butterfly stretches, icy hot massages and easy warm ups seem to do the trick, but now I'm wondering about muscle imbalance and whether I'm on the path to a strain or tear or maybe this is just simple over training...I don't know. I'm 50 and feel great on my runs (39 minute 10ks) and have no other injuries/physical issues besides this.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi steverb,

It's hard to say without seeing it. You can have someone hold your knees apart while you are sitting and you pull them in while they resist and they may be able to feel which is stronger. However, if you're injured, then this won't work since the injury will make it uneven. Of course, rest is best for muscle strains if that's what you have, and you shouldn't run through pain. You can try the symptom checker http://symptoms.webmd.com/default.htm#./introView to figure it out, and then if it persists and you want to know what's going on then your doctor will be able to help.

Let us know what happens. Good luck. Rich

steverb102362 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thanks Rich. Still just tight and not painful, but I'm cutting back on miles and try the symptom check going to my Doctor as a last resort.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to steverb102362's response:
You're welcome. Keep me posted.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 57 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.