Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Intestinal Pain After Running/Jogging
An_248435 posted:
I am experiencing intestinal pain post cardio work out. I'll go running/walking/jogging, and drive home with a terrible intestinal/stomach pain which persists well into the evening hours. Any idea as to what this may be? Anyone? Sometimes this leads to bathroom trips, other times it is solely intestinal pain. Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thank you all!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Occasionally diarrhea/GI distress during or after exercise happens and is related to food intake. If it is then here are some tips.

1. Avoid caffeine and warm fluids. They can increase intestinal motility.

2. Limit dairy products

3. Limit high-fiber foods. You may want to track the food you eat the day before too.

4. Avoid any other foods that you know upset your stomach or give you gas.

5. Stay well hydrated (dehydration slows digestion of food and cause stomach problems). I recommend 16-20 ounces of water 60-90 minutes before you run, and 8-10 ounces every 20 minutes during the run. Avoid replacement beverages like Gatorade since the sugar can increase motility.

6. Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, products with sorbitol, or large doses of vitamin C. All of these can cause diarrhea or otherwise upset your stomach.

7. Try a bland food like half a bagel and nothing else 30-45 minutes before you train.

8. Pepto Bismol can help too.

9. You can also check the Runner's World magazine web site for solutions.

If this continues and food or medication isn't the culprit then you should see your doctor. Let us know what happens. Rich

Lindz03290 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you very much for the advice.
I will try and implement a few of the ideas above and see if it lessens the pain! If weather cooperates today, I'll be hitting the pavement for 'test #1'. Thanks again!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Lindz03290's response:
Sorry, just saw your post. You're very welcome. Please let me know what happens. Thanks.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Quality sleep begets well-being and health
When a person is deprived of good sleep, or if sleep is disruptive or disordered, the person's mood, cognition and physical functioning ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.