Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Too much teaching?
reneezumbagirl posted:
Dr. Weil,

I am a Licensed Zumba Instructor. I teach A LOT of classes-several of my own and
I sub for other instructors on a weekly basis.

Is there such a thing as "too much" teaching of cardio-type classes?

I had an overheating "episode" yesterday while teaching where I almost passed out. I was shaking and got a huge headache post episode. At about 1 hour post episode, my BP was 120/77 ( which I know is good) and my pulse was 78. Today I am super tired-very sore.

I want to know if Iam/can do damage to my muscles? What about my heart?

BTW, I am 47 years old, I am 5'2" tall and weigh 120 lbs.

Any advice you can give me is appreciated.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi renee,

Yes, there's such a thing as too much. You sound over- trained. Symptoms of overtraining are loss of strength, speed, endurance, or other elements of performance, loss of appetite, inability to sleep well, chronic aches and pains or soreness, chronic colds or respiratory infections, overuse injuries like tendinitis, unusual fatigue, occasional increase in resting heart rate, irritability, or you just don't feel like exercising anymore.

You almost certainly need a break, at least 4 days, and maybe more. People get concerned about losing fitness during a break. Not true. In fact, you'll come back stronger. Muscles grow during downtime, not when you train. You're not permanently damaging your muscles, but what is happening is that you're never giving them time for recovery; you're breaking them down, but they can't repair and get stronger.

You should wait until you've got your strength back before getting started again, and when you start, one class a day and then you can build up to two, but listen to your body. At the first sign of overtraining, if it does happen, then you should cut back. And during this break time make sure to stay hydrated and eat lost of nutritious food. You can post your diet-related questions to the Diet Community:
http://exchanges.webmd.com/diet-exchange

If you find your symptoms don't resolve after a break then you should speak with your doctor. If all it is is overtraining, then after a break you'll be back to normal.

I hope that helps. Let me know what happens.

Take care,
Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 56 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.