Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Why is this so?
An_245429 posted:
I am 40+. I have been travelling up and down on the weight scale. Till the age of 37 whenever I put on weight it was mostly evenly getting distributed in the whole body. I had a little more on my arms and belly, though. Kind of apple shaped.

But, now I see all the fat I consume goes only to my arms and belly; nowhere else. Why is this so? Is this reversible?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Fat accumulates in patterns that are predetermined and you have no control over it. As we get older, and for women around menopause (you didn't say your sex), the fat tends to accumulate around the belly. It's not clear why exactly it happens (less estrogen and more cortisol in women is one possibility), but that is the observation. As for reversible, it's pretty much the same for everyone. Regular aerobic exercise 3-5 times a week for 20-60 minutes, and I strongly encourage resistance exercise 2-3 days per week. For shaping the belly, I suggest fully-body and large muscle group exercises like squats, deadlifts, and torso rotations so that you work as many muscles as possible. You can't spot reduce, but with aerobic exercise that burns fat and resistance exercise that builds muscle, you can change your physique; how much it will change varies for each person, and you won't know until you start doing it.

I also suggest you keep an eye on your calorie and fat intake. You can post your diet-related questions to the Diet Community:
http://exchanges.webmd.com/diet-exchange

Feel free to post back if you have more questions.
Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.