Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Exercise for Older Adults 60's to 70's
Jim473 posted:
Wow, that's a lot of exercise. "For even more health benefits..." do how much?! You might read "Total Fitness on 30 Minutes a Week" by Laurence Morehouse, MD. For starters, there's no causative relationship between exercise and health. Exercise and fitness, sure. But the first question one should ask is, "Fit for what?" You'd be surprised how little it takes to achieve a basic level of fitness. In addition, exercise should never be a formula of X number or reps or sets or time, but movements that effect one's heart rate (pulse). Measure performance against improvement in pulse rate (lower) and avoid unnecessary fatigue and injury.

efgumjr responded:
I have not read that book but I imagine it assumes a certain level and set of habits going in. I needed a total immersion food and ex cerise boot camp to get me on the right track. If you need to play catch-up, I am not sure 30 minutes a week is enough.

Jim473 replied to efgumjr's response:
Read the book.

brunosbud responded:
"...there's no causative relationship between exercise and health..."

Jim473, could you, please, explain what that statement means?

• Does obesity have anything to do with "health"?
  • Does high blood pressure have anything to do with "health"?
  • Does Type 2 Diabetes have anything to do with "health"?
  • Does high total cholesterol have anything to do with "health"?
  • Does the incidence of metabolic syndrome have anything to do with "health"?

Jim473 replied to brunosbud's response:
Fitness is simply the ability to do work. You can be tip-top fit and not healthy. The best example is that of Jim Fixx, author of The Complete Runner, a well-regarded "bible" of running. He was as fit as you can get and dropped dead while on a typical, for him, 10 mile workout run. His father died of a heart attack, too. They both suffered from heart disease.

You can be fit and have high cholesterol, and you can be fit and have low cholesterol. Yes, exercise can contribute to lowering cholesterol but there's no guarantee.

You can be fit and fat. You can reduce your weight and BMI and not necessarily be any fitter... or healthier. You can be healthy as a horse and not be fit.

Morehouse said it better than I can. Hunt for his book. It's worth the read. It will change your whole view of the current fitness madness not to mention the industry promoting it.

And please, I'm not saying don't attempt to become more fit. But ask yourself, "Fit for what?" My first post was a response to the disservice "professionals" offer by recommending workouts that are so intense that no one can stick with them. How fit will you end up then?

Good luck.

brunosbud replied to Jim473's response:
Jim473, Thank you for your excellent response. I'm sure Rich could do a far better job in addressing your remarks, but I'll give it go, nonetheless. I'll do it in parts...

Part 1

Its pretty well documented that Jim Fixx lived with a very serious heart condition, yet, he refused to see a doctor with any regularity...

Here's what was revealed after his death:

1. His father suffered two major heart attacks; the second one ending his life at age 43.
2. He had no regular doctor and refused to see one despite both his wife and sister's urging.
3. He had complained of chest pains and tightness when breathing to friends in the months leading up to the event that took his life, yet, again, did not see a doctor about them.
4. On autopsy, it was revealed that both major coronary arteries had extensive blockage (95% % 80%).
5. He knew he had seriously high cholesterol, yet, ignored doctor's advisals to take medication for the condition.

The question was asked, "Would Jim Fixx be alive if he saw his doctor, regularly, and had an annual physical performed?"

This cannot be answered because, generally speaking, heart disease, for much of its progression, advances, both slowly and painlessly. Thus, heart attacks and strokes can occur without symptoms or any signs of forewarning.

But, despite Jim's obvious "apparent" fine physical condition at death, any doctor who knew about his family history of heart disease & his seriously high cholesterol levels would have ordered more tests to be certain of his safety. And, if he tested for high blood pressure or high fasting blood glucose?

Any doctor, no matter what country they received their license, would have placed Jim at high risk for a heart attack.
As it turns out, Jim was right about doctors being "useless"...
They are, if, you don't see one.

So, if you're going to prove a point about exercising less, Jim473, using Mr. Fixx as an example is not the best, imo.

I'll comment on Mr. Morehouse's book next...

Jim473 replied to brunosbud's response:
Brunosbud, I'm sorry if my post confused you. I'm not saying exercising less will help you. And I don't have an opinion on what would have helped Jim Fixx. My point re Fixx was that he was plenty fit and plenty sick and no amount of aerobics would have made him healthier.

Sure exercise has benefits. I'm cautioning against the one-size-fits all push-push-push approaches we are bombarded with on TV, magazine, and the web. These are simply unnecessary to obtaining a moderate level of fitness which, I believe, all the vast majority of us need. Again, fit for what?

Insanity Workouts (for an example) are, well, insane! No one needs to work out like that to become fit. How many people are going to stick with such a program? It's a waste of time, money, and energy... and at what risk level for injury?

I look forward to your (or anyone's) next post.

brunosbud replied to Jim473's response:
I'm glad you clarified, Jim473. I agree with you about the manic exercise dvds on the market, as well.

I still wish to comment on Morehouse's books. He's a pioneer in exercise physiology and deserves recognition for his enormous contributions to the field.

Thanks

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.