Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Respectfully Disagree
yogagal posted:
I am a 64 year old woman who has exercised 5 days a week for the past 20 years doing advanced yoga, weight lifting and walking. But I have had open heart surgery due to a genetic birth defect, have had breast cancer twice (15 years apart), a small stroke behind one eye that left me blind in that eye and am presently being watched because of a growth in my uterus to see if it is cancer. I am not overweight and am a vegetarian and do not smoke. I feel I have done everything possible to take care of myself and my body but am not going to be able to do anything about what is happening to me healthwise. Nothing is going to stop me from probably having an early death. Yes, it makes me angry when I read that you can do things that will keep your body young and healthy and when I see friend that do no exercise and smoke and have no health problems at all and will live much longer than I will. I always joke and say "my body is trying to kill me", but it is true.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi Yogagal,

I'm sorry to hear your story. It would be hard for most people to realte to what you've been through. I do hope you find some peace with all of it. As for exercise, unfortunately it's not the panacea for everything, and as you say, a genetic birth defect, or genetics ingeneral, may simply not be helped or influenced by exercise. I wish it were so, but as you've discovered, it's not. As for others who are sedentary and smoke and have no health problems, they got lucky. It's frustrating to take care of yourself and watch others who don't have better health. I know people who eat whatever they want, saturated fat...trrans fats...junk food, and their cholesterol, triglycerides, etc, are all normal without medication. Life's not always fair, and these are examples. I do hope you find some satisfaction with exercise in terms of endurance, strength, shaping your physique, perhaps mood, and being self-sufficient.

Thank you for taking the time to post. Your perspective is important.

Take care of yourself. Rich

brunosbud responded:
I'm so sorry for your health history. I can certainly understand your frustration with the idea that healthy diet and regular exercise is so universally promoted on diet boards as a magic bullet...

A thought occurred to me as a read your post, though...Have you ever considered just where you would be if you had not taken such good care of yourself?

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

LOST WEIGHT IN 3 WEEKKS
I took the time to loose wight and actually lost 20lbs in 3 weeks i feel amazing. trying working out with someone you feel comfortable with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.