Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
6 Days a Week
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
You might ask, "How often should I exercise?" My answer is 6 days a week.

This is a hard message in our culture because, fitness-wise, we have gone so far off the rails. Exercising an hour a day, 6 days a week, takes up 5% of your waking hours. That's a small fraction (if you consider how much time you might spend watching TV), but it's a significant way to change your life.

Do you absolutely have to do 6 days a week? Of course not. But remember, your biology never rests. And in the lifetime struggle between growth and decay, exercise helps keep you younger and healthier. The reality is that the more often you exercise, the greater your benefits. I am a huge fan of 6 days, clearly. Exercising 6 days a week can help to optimize your fitness and energy. But 4 days a week -- with a lot of activity on the other 3 days -- can be just as beneficial. Just be aware that cutting down on your exercise days is taking a step back from the benefits. And by the time you get down to 1 day a week, you're really just hanging on to those benefits by a thread.

The interesting thing is that exercising 6 days a week can actually be easier than you think. Once you get started, it becomes one of the basic routines of your life, like brushing your teeth, taking the kids to school, or showing up for work. You simply show up and do it. It's only a struggle when you spend too much time deciding where to fit it into your schedule.

How many days a week do you exercise? Is it a part of your routine or something you are struggling to do?

efgumjr responded:
I definitely agree with you on the exercise part of your recommendation. I am missing the diet part. See my post of a few minutes ago about sugar, carbs, processed foods, juicing etc. Exercise is absolutely necessary but by itself is not sufficient if you need to atone for years of body abuse!

LeviParanici responded:
Hello!
I'm a med student. Please give me some advice on diet. I have really no time to eat regularly and health. I may not exercise 1 whole hour, but I try to workout everyday.
Thank you for your time!

ChristineRice responded:
I think your recommendation is optimal. I hope to reach it someday. Currently, I'm exercising 6 days a week for 15-25 minutes and I have been for over two weeks. I always remember that I have to exercise because I do it almost every day. I agree that 6 days a week is good, because for me the 7th day is like a reward I reach for. I hope to continue to increase the intensity and duration of my workouts (I first started with a 7-minute workout and have progressed from there). Exercising is so important. We're made to move our bodies and work hard. We're not meant for desk jobs, but that is what the world has turned towards. So we need to make time for exercise - pencil it into our schedules, and do it everyday, no matter the length of the workout, to maintain the routine so that we won't get off track. I eat a very healthy diet (whole foods, organic) and I've lost 50 lbs. Now that I've stopped losing weight my goal is to get really fit. Good luck to everyone with your health and fitness goals!

mantrap responded:
I've been exercising (aerobic (cardio) for 46 years, five to six days per week. I began at the age of 26 when i failed my annual physical while in the Navy. I was 25-30 pounds overweight. Advice and encouragement from a friend got me innvolved in running. I lost the excess weight, passed the next physical, but kept on running to keep the weight "lost." At the age of 71, I remain at 5 to six days per week and use a Nordic-Trak skier and a stationary bike for 3 to 4 hours per week. The main purpose is weight control and now secondarily cardiovascular fitness. It's a part of my life!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to LeviParanici's response:
Hi Levi,

I'm sorry that I missed your post when you first did it. It's okay if you don't do an hour every workout. I posted to someone else that it doesn't have to be all-or-nothing to get your fix. Sometimes I go out and run just one mile just to do something. It always seems to works; I move my body and connect with it which feels good, and I clear my head.

Years ago I gave a lecture to medical students about exercise and they were so interested and had so many great questions. I felt at the time that it was unfortunate it wasn't more of their curriculum, but I certainly understood how much you guys have to learn. I felt similarly about learning nutrition as part of your education. Perhaps things are different now. I'd be curious to know how your curriculum is.

As for your diet-related questions, you can go to the Diet Community:

http://exchanges.webmd.com/diet-exchange They are very knowledgeable over there. Good luck with your studies.

Rich

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to mantrap's response:
Good for you Mantrap. You might be interested in the book, "Running and Being" by George Sheehan. The first edition is a classic, and I sense that it would be right up your alley. http://www.amazon.com/Running-Being-The-Total-Experience/dp/0966631803

If you have a chance to read it I'd be curious to know what you think.

Take care,
Rich

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Check out George Sheehan's web site too when you have a chance http://www.georgesheehan.com/ He was inspiring.

20391 responded:
7 days per week
it is part of my routine

budharlan responded:
Indoor Volleyball twice a week and once a week at the beach is
enjoyable with players, who also want to be there and get the benefits.

brunosbud responded:
You know you're getting old when guests around the Thanksgiving turkey start to talk about the meds they're taking for the various conditions they have. I sat there, quietly, listening to the conversation until one of the guests said, "You know, the reality is we'll all be on insulin, someday..."

I thought, "No! It's not THE reality; It's YOUR reality! A Japanese woman, 20 years older than you, climbed Everest, this year!"

I excused, myself, then, retired to the family room to watch the Godfather. You can't be "younger next year" unless you know it can be.

mitraps responded:
Hi everyone,
Till the recent past I used to exercise every alternate day for around 20 minutes. For the last two weeks I have stepped it up to 7 days a week for 40 - 50 minutes duration daily. I intend to continue and step up the duration to one hour daliy if I can. I mainly go for brisk walking with some jogging in between.
Although I have been exercising for the last four decades now, there have been periods when I gave up and they have always led to health issues.
Currently my main aim is to keep depression at bay and its amazing how the change over to a daily regimen has helped me so far in the short run.

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
The most effective, powerful, therapeutic and addictive "drugs" known to man...
  • estrogen
  • testosterone
  • insulin
  • serotonin
  • dopamine
  • epinephrine
  • PGC1-alpha
  • endorphins
  • T4

...hormone junkies need to get "well", everyday.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.