Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What Shape Are You Really In?
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
Most people make their New Year's resolutions in January (and break them by February). But I think right now is actually the best time to examine your health and habits. Head into the holiday season focused on your wellbeing. It's a wonderful gift to your family, friends, and to yourself.

Your health assessment should start in your doctor's office. With a few basic tests, she can give you a clear starting point for making improvements. Specific markers that you should look at include:
-- Blood pressure: Ask your doctor if it's ideal, rather than high or normal. About a third of Americans have blood pressure levels above 120/80, which is considered prehypertension (or hypertension if it's over 140/90).
-- Blood sugar: Ask your doctor if your fasting blood sugar is normal or ideal. A fasting blood sugar less than 100 is considered normal. If your blood sugar levels are between 100 and 125, this is considered prediabetes.
-- Body mass index (BMI): Based on your height and weight, the lower limit of normal is about 19. A BMI of 25 and over counts as overweight or obese.

After seeing your doctor, take an honest look at your lifestyle. If, for instance, you're skinny but a total couch potato -- somehow managing to stay thin on French fries and hamburgers -- don't give yourself too much credit for being thin. The problems associated with your unhealthy habits may actually trump the presence of a tiny waist. On the flip side, if you're carrying some extra pounds, but you do a great job of staying active and eating healthy foods, take some comfort knowing that fitness goes a long way toward offsetting the possible penalties of those extra pounds. You could be healthier and feel better if you lost the weight, of course. But never make the mistake of getting discouraged about exercise because you are not seeing the pounds drop off. Don't exercise to be thin, exercise to improve your life!

CSpot09 responded:
What if your poor/have no access to health prof's??

Common sense and self-knowleadge, I think, are key.

Reduce salt, table sugar, fatty red meat...eat colorful fruits/veggies, fiber packed foods, and drink plenty of water/green tea

Be active

Choose people who will motivate you to be positive and active

Do not rely on "looks" or outer apperance...if you know you are not leading a healhy lifestyle. Our society is so messed up, always looking at others or outside...rather then the "heart" of the issue (on the inside)

People need to change perspective on "Diet" and "thinness"

It's all about a HEALTHY LIFESTYLE, moderation, and a positive viewpoint.

CSpot09 replied to CSpot09's response:
can get b/p for free @ Stores/pharm

BMI is easy..and can be found online (formula to find...)

Blood sugar is more difficult to estimate...but look at your diet choices and family history and current state...

Let's get healthy and rely LESS on doctors opinions...it's like taking a pill for BP (seeing a doc), rather then changing habits and informing oneself on health/diet.

nirmaldas responded:
I am a diabetic (type 2) patient. Now I am 32. I am having this problem for the last two years. My sugar level is 116 (fasting), 204 (PP). Please guide.

With thanks
SWAMI NIRMAL DAS

Dale15 responded:
Dear Dr.Lodge.

Here is a question for you. My friend is a Dietitan/bodybuilder/Weightloss surgery Director. He says that BMI should not be the only measure. The belief is that Waist Circumfrence is just as important. For Example I am 48 years old, 5'9" tall, Waist is 34", Chest is 48", Body fat % is 12.6 % by Electrical Impedence confirmed by water displacement. My BMI allways comes back at OVERWEIGHT, I weigh 185 Pounds. Which is a BMI of 27.

MY blood work is perfect and my cardiovascular Nuclear Stress test came back as above average in terms of the health of my heart.

Is there a better measure for an athlete? I dieted my self and Exercised to get to a "normal" BMI. I lost muscle and felt tired and hungry and looked like a broom stick.

brunosbud replied to Dale15's response:
The average American is 23 pounds heavier than his or her ideal body weight. According to the CDC, two out of every three Americans are overweight or obese. In other words, being fat is the new "normal".

Dale15, I think Dr. Lodge's "Health Assessment" are general goals for the majority of Americans...and, it's clear that the majority is not at 12.6% body fat.

CatMagnet71 replied to Dale15's response:
BMI is a poor determination of health. Body composition is a much better one, since it takes into consideration the difference between fat and lean mass. After all, I'm 15 pounds "overweight" per the BMI, but within normal parameters for fat percentage, cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure, etc.

The BMI doesn't take into consideration those of us with larger skeletal frames or a bit more muscle than the normal person.

Lefty2121 replied to nirmaldas's response:
Is weight an issue? If so try controlling with diet and exercise if medication is not working for you. I used to weigh 382 lbs and my sugars used to be way over 321 fasting but now they are 121 to 125 fasting and curretnly weight about 250 lbs or so and no longer take pills or insulin shots to control my diabetes type 2...

farhatbokhari responded:
Hi thanks for sharing ............
Dr Bokhari Plastic Surgeon |Rhinoplasty or Nose Surgery

Khristi replied to CSpot09's response:
How you feel can tell you about your sugar. High sugar will make you energetic/hyper most of the time (think about a kid after they ate a candy bar) & low sugar will cause fatigue and possibly brain fog. Unfortunately these signs are easier to spot with more extreme changes in your sugar. Aim to feel consistantly energetic and alert, but not so much that you can't focus. Whole natural foods are a great way to get there.

Khristi replied to CatMagnet71's response:
Exactly, body composition should be the new measurement. I believe Dr.'s offices should include EI in physical exams. The scale doesn't factor for more lean mass than average. At the very least medical offices could switch to body analizing scales instead of the type that just measure weight.

iramjibran responded:
married two years back, have a son via c section, till then to uptil now m out of shape..deshaped belly n disfigured hips...just like if i were a mountain of fatness...unablle yo reduce even with dieting exercise..seems like i m fixed a a certain point...what to do?

iramjibran responded:
my age is 27. height 5'3" bmi 32.2

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

8 habits of successful dieters
8 habits of successful dieters More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.