Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Interval Training Anyone?
Rich Weil, MEd, CDE posted:
Hi Everyone,

Are any of you doing interval training?

Interval training is a proven method of increasing aerobic and anaerobic fitness, and increasing it fast. It helps improve performance in endurance (aerobic) and sprinting (anaerobic) events such as road races (or just a weekend jog), and sports like tennis and basketball where endurance but also sprinting are part of it.

The idea to interval training is to set up work to active rest ratios (work:active rest), and as you get more fit you increase the intensity, decrease the recovery time, and/or increase the work interval. Here's an example for beginners.

If you currently run for 30 minutes at 6.0 mph, jog for 5 minutes to warm up, then increase the speed to 6.5 mph and run for 1 minute, then jog again for 3 minutes at 6.0 mph, then run again at 6.5 mph for 1 minute, and then continue like this for the remainder of the workout. You can do this on a bike, x-c ski, rowing, or whatever you do for cardio

Here it is in stages with a 1:3 work:active recovery ratio

Stage 1: 5 minutes warm up
Stage 2: 3 minutes at normal pace
Stage 3: work interval: 1 minute at higher intensity (for running it could be faster and/or uphill; for biking it could be more resistance and/or faster cadence)
Stage 4: recovery interval: 3 minutes at normal pace
Stage 5: work interval: 1 minute at higher intensity...

...and so on like this for the rest of your workout. Over time you will be able to increase the intensity and the recovery intervals.

You can also get more specific and use heart rate. Your heart rate is an excellent indication of how hard you are working. For example, if your heart rate is at 70% of your predicted max when you jog at 6.0 mph, then start at that speed and then either increase the speed or elevation, and increase it so that your heart rate increases to 85% or even 90% for 1 minute to start, then back to recovery at your jogging speed at a heart rate of 70%.

So, are any of you doing interval training?

jis4judy responded:
Hi Rich I don;t think I do interval training But I do walk rather fast and my DH is slower so I walk backwards in his direction until he caches up then walk fast again . I also do spurts of exercise while watching My Patriots I do jumping jacks and high kicks when they score 1 for each point 10 extra when they win.. Not sure if that could have the same effect .
Hugs Judy:)

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi Judy,

It sounds like intervals to me. What you could do to enhance your intervals, since you're already getting ahead of him anyway, is to speed up beyond your usual pace, get a couple of 100 yards ahead, then turn around and sprint back. Then stick with him for 3 or 4 minutes, then repeat. That would do it. And I like the spurts of exercise, although I'm not a Pats fan (:->) The spurts are definitely a type of anaerobic interval sicne there's a sudden burst of energy, and then recovery. You might walk around during the recovery. Keep up the good work! Rich

Chuckram5 responded:
Hi Rich,

Would jumping rope in between sets be considered interval training. I started with 25 quick jumps between sets and now up to 100. I try and do this throughout my work out.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Chuckram5's response:
Hi Chuck,

Yes, especially if you keep moving with your sets and you get your heart rate elevated to more than 85% of your maximum, which should be easy to do if you jump fast. It's a great workout what you're doing. You might want to keep track of your heart rate and time how long you jump for. Say your heart rate rises to 160 beats per minute for one minute. Then over time, as you get more fit, your heart rate will come down doing the same number of jumps and you'll also be able to do more jumps in the same period of time. I suggest not doing more than 2-3 minute intervals. Generally if you reach a very high intensity during the interval then you shouldn't be able to do more than 60-90 seconds.

I hope that helps. If you have more questions feel free to post back.

Keep me posted and let me know how it's going.

Take care,
Rich

jis4judy replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Hi Rich I tried both suggestions over the last few days
I don;t think I ran as much as your suggestion seemed to be but I did the run as fast as I could went probably no more than 75 yards 2 times during the walk though .. and I did walk around the house while watching football after my sudden bursts of movement jumping jacks and high kicks when My team scores... seems like an easy thing to do ,,
Thanks for the suggestions I think My DH likes the run and slow walk I did .
Hugs Judy:)

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to jis4judy's response:
This sounds really good Judy. Pay attention to your fitness level in terms of how you perform with these workouts, but also in terms of activities of daily living such as climbing stairs or other activities that require short bursts of energy. Keep me posted, and keep up the good work! Rich

Laricsports replied to Chuckram5's response:
If You are looking for high quality skipping ropes please visit www.laric-sports.com

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Doing well with my diet
Well a month ago I weighed in at 218 and today I am 209 now only if my leg would stop hurting so I can get back to exercising and loss more ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.