Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Kids and exercise
Tsmom posted:
My 12 yo daughter told me that she is doing the P90X program and now the Insanity program in school. Is this safe? She is healthy and is fairly fit and athletic, but has complained about the intensity and she had quite a bit of muscle soreness after.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi Tsmom,

It's important to understand that children are not biologically just small adults. Their muscles, hearts, and pulmonary function may not be as developed and not respond as quickly or as robustly as in adults, motor development is still occurring in kids, metabolic needs will be different, and of course, children are not as strong. These fitness programs were developed by and for adults. Tony Horton, the creator of P90X, is a young, strong, very conditioned man. He is not talking to, or thinking of, 12 year-old children, or any other children for that matter, when he makes these videos. The exercise programs are very good, but very intense. And as much as the physiology is different between adults and children, and there is the potential of physical risk, it's the emotional/psychological effect that could be of most concern. Kids should enjoy and have fun working out. If not, they may get turned off and stop exercising altogether. I imagine your daughter might feel like she's being tortured. Pre- and early adolescence is a key time for shaping impressions and attitudes about exercise. Adults, and in particular physical educators, should be made aware of and sensitive to these issues.

My suggestion is to call the PE teacher and discuss this. There are so many other things kids can do in school for physical activity to make it enjoyable. If the school wants videos, then select dance or other fun activities. In fact, let the kids decide. If you don't get cooperation from the PE teacher, then I suggest you go to the principle.

I work with obese adults. The majority of them had miserable experiences as kids in gym, and the moment PE wasn't mandatory, they stopped. And they became sedentary adults. This is unfortunate.

If you get around to it, please let me know what happens.

Take care, Rich

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
That should be go to the "principal"!

Laricsports replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
skipping rope is best exercise but there many ropes on internet and quit difficult to make right choice, here is link to know types of skipping ropes . http://laric-sports.com/en/

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 59 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.