Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Weight loss journey
RPLife posted:
Hi Rich,

After coming to know some great things from you in this , started to think of going in a right track.

I would like to write here about me; a random account of my life (depressed) with regard to my weight. I would like to get my doubts(if any) clarified by you.

My joints have become kind of stiff with very less usage. I have been mostly in net for a while now except for just cooking. The whole body has turned to be very weak. First good thing was that I have been standing or walking for long as I was bombarded with chain of thoughts. I get absent minded and thus get slow. So, always ended up very tired because the job took so long. Constant fatigue. Second good thing as I wrote to you was that I have always been in a fighting mode. I didn't fall prey to my depression.

As a first step, I have started thinking better to come out of my depression. The life teaches it slowly. Except we have to be open to learn it.

I have been into the world of exercising for a few years now. Brushed up my memories, gathered as many things as I could and stored them in my laptop.

I read about stretching and started doing aerobics and anaerobics. Hmm, diet? Thats were I am still missing but aiming to control as I have realised how badly I have wasted my life.

As I do my chores in the morning I finish stretching and I keep my body moving as much as I could; bend, carry weights, walking while watch TV etc. Well, I have stated watching TV only recently. With the help of my mind which I have started to freshen up, I have started to feel better. Both by mind and body are brisk.

When tried to get into the diet and exercise regimen on and off half-minded, I felt I was panting just to climb the stairs. But, today, I was in my elliptical for 15 mins intense without any trouble. It is a good day today.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi RPLife,

Just saw your post. It seems to me you're doing very nice work, and under the circumstances the very best you can do. Depression is tough, and although people say that exercise helps people be less depressed, sometimes it's just too much to do it. So you're pushing through and I applaud you for it. One step at a time. I like the morning chores. There have been studies to show that activities of daily living and not just formal exercise is helpful, and that includes domestic work such as house cleaning. So you're incorporating exercise into your daily activities; that's good work. Every single thing adds up and helps. And now you're noticing how your fitness and stamina has improved. You get an A for all of this work. Keep up the good work, and of course, feel free to post back any time you like. Have a Happy New Year. Rich

RPLife replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Hi Rich,

I have been checking this page everyday though I guessed you to come back after the christmas and new year holidays.
Actually now I came here to write updates. Hope you had a great chistmas. Thank you and you too.have a very happy new year.

I have stretched my aerobics time to 25 minutes with more intensity. I continue to stay active(keep moving/doing something) thoughout the day. I feel great flexibility all over my body. That gives me confidence and motivation to increase the intensity in my workouts.

I would be usually sitting in the net delaying my chores and then rush to do things, obviously end up doing everything imperfect. I would be bombarded with thoughts and thus would be slowing down in doing things. As it took longer I would end up getting very tired both physically and mentally. I used to be a perfectionist. Duty first. My family has been for hereditaties. Whetever we did we excelled. So it was inbuilt in me. We would spontaneously and happily stay responsible. I lost it myself. But, it is changing now. My memory has got better too. Like I finish up all the kitchen works simultaneously when I cook, when I go upstairs I bring things which I have to etc. It seems to be a quality life.

A few questions;

How long after exercising should we eat for the best absorption of proteins? Is it only protein that we have to think about? Is there any research about absorption of nutrients and stuff like that?

I would like read something like exercise for dummies. Which one can I go for?

I cannot squat or lunge as I cannot strain my knees and ankles too much(arthritis). Just ok with the moderate ones. Elliptical doesn't hurt. The two exercises I have been doing are-

- I stand. First lift my left leg to 45 degrees on the side, keep it down. With no break I lift my right leg. Bring it down. Then left and it goes like this. I do this till I feel the pain and strees all over my leg. 3 sets.

- I stand on one leg. Bend my body and lift the other leg behind till they get perpendicular to the one that I am balancing on. Hold this position till I feel the pain. Alternate legs and 3 reps.

My doctor said that I can infact forget arthritis if I can strengethen my lower body by putting on muscles as my arthritis is not severe. I keep googling about lower body exercises for arthritis. I tried planks but have not perfected it yet. Is there anythingelse that you can suggest? Basically I have found the ones which doesn't involve bending of knees doesn't hurt. As I have trained my legs to some extent now my doctor said I can slowly increase the intensity.

Thank you.

RPLife replied to RPLife's response:
Please enjoy new year and take time to respond.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to RPLife's response:
Hi RPLife,

I've included your questions and then my answer.

QUESTION How long after exercising should we eat for the best absorption of proteins? Is it only protein that we have to think about? Is there any research about absorption of nutrients and stuff like that?

ANSWER:
Eat within 30 minutes of finishing the workout. This helps with recovery and muscle development. Crabs arr also important. For carbs, the guideline is to eat within 30 minutes of starting, and/or completing your workout (for recovery) and to have 0.7 - 1.2 grams of carbohydrate per kilogram of body weight (0.3 - 0.6 grams per pound). A large banana has 30 grams of carbohydrate. The guideline for protein is one gram for every 3-4 grams of carb. Peanut butter has 9 grams of protein per 2 tablespoons. Yogurt is another good source of carbs and protein. Energy bars are also very helpful. Your daily intake of protein should be .8 to 1.1 grams/kilogram of body weight. Do keep in mind that by consuming all of this you are consuming extra calories and you want to be careful not to gain weight by consuming more than you need (unless of course you are looking to gain weight).

QUESTION: I would like read something like exercise for dummies. Which one can I go for?

ANSWER:
This is hard to answer since there are so many books and so many specialities. Do you want a book on weight training, aerobic exercise and which type (e.g, running, biking), training for a specific sport, yoga and stretching, an exercise physiology textbook? The "For Dummies" series is usually good and so this might be a good basic introduction, but I have not read it so cannot vouch for it. For academic books check out Human Kinetics www.humankinetics.com

And of course there are so many online resources. WebMD and the government both do an excellent job.

Here are resources
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/exercise-healthy-heart
http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/index.html
http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/health/index.html
http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/sgr/summ.htm
Arthritis: http://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/pa_overview.htm
QUESTION: I cannot squat or lunge as I cannot strain my knees and ankles too much(arthritis). Just ok with the moderate ones. Elliptical doesn't hurt. The two exercises I have been doing are-
- I stand. First lift my left leg to 45 degrees on the side, keep it down. With no break I lift my right leg. Bring it down. Then left and it goes like this. I do this till I feel the pain and strees all over my leg. 3 sets.
- I stand on one leg. Bend my body and lift the other leg behind till they get perpendicular to the one that I am balancing on. Hold this position till I feel the pain. Alternate legs and 3 reps.

My doctor said that I can infact forget arthritis if I can strengethen my lower body by putting on muscles as my arthritis is not severe. I keep googling about lower body exercises for arthritis. I tried planks but have not perfected it yet. Is there anythingelse that you can suggest? Basically I have found the ones which doesn't involve bending of knees doesn't hurt. As I have trained my legs to some extent now my doctor said I can slowly increase the intensity.

ANSWER:
You might try wall squats. Here's a picture https://www.panadol.co.uk/Menstrual/Exercises/Articles/Exercise-Wall-Squats/ Make sure your knees do not go out over your toes like in the picture. Stop doing these if they hurt.

See the next post for rest of my response.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
I also recommend straight leg raises to strengthen the muscles around your knee (primarily quadriceps). To do them lie on the floor on your back, one knee bent, the other straight, hands palm down under the buttocks to support the low back. Contract the quadriceps on the straight leg first, then raise leg to the height of the other knee. Pause 1-2 second at the top, then lower leg but do not allow it to touch the floor. Repeat 10-15 reps, 3 sets. As you get stronger and can easily do 15 reps, use ankle weights. Start with one pound and work up. You should always be able to do 10-15 reps. As you get stronger, you may be able to progress to leg extensions, leg curls, leg presses, squats, and other exercises, but first you should get your leg stronger with the leg raises. Here is a slide presentation that will help.

http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/joint-injections-9/slideshow-knee-exercises (slide #3).

And then click to slide #4 which describes how to tighten the quadriceps before lifting as I instruct above.

I hope that helps. Keep up the good work, and Happy New Year.
Rich

Hi Rich,

Thank you for the reply and your wishes. To you, too.

Just had a quick look at the links which you provided. They are very useful. Shall keep exploring.

I will try the exercises mentioned by you.

Ok, good. Let me know how it goes. Rich

Hi Rich,

Everything was going good. My muscles were getting strong and and they were turning toned. I went for a second session of exercises in the evenings. One day I was pushed by a lady accidentally and fell on my right knee. Now back to square one; even worse than that. I started to have problems in that knee which I never had before. I am on medicines now. No exercise till doc says. The problem doesn't seem to be very serious. So, hoping to resume before this month ends.

I am looking at this problem from a positive angle. Now, If I don't eat right, I will lose whatever I have gained. I took this zero exercise period a motivation for mindful eating. I started watching movies for distracting myself from craving. Shall keep in touch.

I'm sorry to hear it RP. But your attitude sounds spot on. It will pass and you'll get back to it. Keep in mind that it can take up to 20 weeks before you lose a significant amount of strength, and so it means that once you get back to it, muscle memory will kick in and you'll be surprised at how quickly you get back to where you were. Heal quickly. Rich

Hi Rich,

It was not something fast that I thought. It is taking longer though it is a small problem. I am doing strengthening exercises, upper body exercises and whatever exercises I can.

You are right. I didn't lose much. I am continuing to eat right. I am patiently waiting for the day to come. Thank you.

WilRaynor replied to RPLife's response:
high protein, high fat, zero carb diet, lots of weights and cardio and you will be one sexy galll. Look it up... ketogenic diet

trx suspension trainer for sale

RPLife replied to WilRaynor's response:
YYYYYYYYYYey!

Rich,

I am on top of the world now. I have started exercising again. I am into yoga now. I am not getting any problem with my knee now.

I have come out of my depression, too. It didn't happen overnight. Constant efforts made it happen gradually. Now I am more confident. I have started seeing life to be very beautiful.

Thanks a million for being there. Shall keep updating about my weight loss.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Music For Running
My research shows if you workout to the music you like, you will workout to the maximum time you have (will not cut the workout short). The ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.