Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Running with Osteoporosis
soaperbeth52 posted:
I love to run, but a few years ago (age 47) was diagnosed with osteoporosis after an ankle stress fracture. My 80-year old dad used to run marathons, but had to stop when he started having back and hip problems. This past August, Dad had hip replacement surgery and is now walking 5 miles per day. He told me he would love to run another marathon. I would like to run it with him. Would this be safe for me to do with a history of osteoporosis?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
I can't say for sure and so you need to ask your doctor. What I can tell you is that there is evidence that exercise, and in particular weight-bearing exercise like running or walking, stimulates bones to get denser. But if bones are already brittle, then there is risk. Go ahead and speak with your doctor since he or she will know your condition best. Let me know what your doctor says. Good luck.

soaperbeth52 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you! I will be sure to let you know what he says.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to soaperbeth52's response:
You're welcome. I'll look for your post.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Find a coach
Can you find a friend to encourage you? Or better yet a personal trainer that can help you identify a routine that fits your schedule and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.