Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Gaining upper body fat
MissingSports posted:
I used to be really active in HS and was a tri-sport player. I since recently have completed college, within that 5 yr period I had no sports or activity. I gained 20lbs and all of it was in upper body weight... the unhealthy kind around my ribs and chest. Does anyone have a suggestion of how I can change my diet and work off that fat fast or in a reasonable responsible way? I also have high cholesterol... and being only 24yrs old I want to keep this under control before it gets out of hand. In HS I weighed anywhere from 120-130lbs. I am currently 156-160lbs and 5"3... so overweight for my height according to the BMI

brunosbud responded:
Missing Sports, that was an excellent demonstration of "Root Cause Analysis" on your part!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi MissingSports

For all your nutrition and diet questions visit these sites.
http://exchanges.webmd.com/diet-exchangehttp/forums.webmd.com/3/fitness-and-exercise-exchange/tip/4

You obviously are a good athlete so you know how to exercise. It's a matter of organizing your time so you can make a plan and stick with it. I'd be happy to look at the plan and give you feedback if you post back with it.

Rich

MissingSports replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you for your time! Well the problem is in HS I know I at least did these sports, (Tennis, swim team, and I pole vaulted for track) 3 hrs a day. I am now trying to do excercises at home and motivation is a HUGE problem especially after work. I try to run/jog at least three days a week for 1mi-2mi and then do yoga after. On my off days I lift 5lbs weights, I have a shake-it weight and also do yoga along with a zumba dvd I have for my Xbox360. I just dont feel like I am sweating enough during my workouts and it's not doing me any good. I did also completely change my diet and drinking water has never been a problem for me.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to MissingSports's response:
It sound sl ike you're doing to many things, or at least making an effort to do too many. I suggest that you stick with just the jogging right now. Leave out the other stiff until you get back in the groove and improve your endurance. Start by setting a weekly goal for the jogging. Be as specific as possible. Write down the days of the week, the time of day, and how many minutes (or miles) you'll do, and then stick with it no matter what. And don't psyche yourself out by saying it's "not enough". The point now is to get started no matter how much you do. If you absolutely have to miss a day then get right back on track. But if it's not written down you may not do it. Write it down, or put it in your mobile device, and stick with it. Then next week you evaluate how you did. You're an athlete and you know what it is to be disciplined. Now's a good time to put those skills to work. I'm happy to look at your plan if you post back with it.

Good luck. Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.