Includes Expert Content
exercises for neck and shoulders
Anon_71419 posted:
have had pain in my neck and upper shoulders for about 2 months. there are times when it is more uncomfortable to turn my head to the far right and other times i feel it more in turning my head to the far left. most of the time i find my neck and the base of my neck are just uncomfortable and i have a dull pain. i have taken advil and excedrin tension headache at different times. i have tried heat and ice and i have tried biofreeze and myoflex....i have achieved some relief but nothing that is lasting. i have tried stretching as well but truthfully i do not know if i am accomplishing anything! i was wondering if there were some stretching exercises that might help?? any advice or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
I'm thinking you might like to see a physiatrist for an evaluation of all these symptoms and a posture analysis. This could be something medical or perhaps just biomechanics; maybe at your desk or computer, or the way you walk, but I wouldn't be able to say without seeing you. A physiatrist is a physical medicine doctor, so if there is something medical going on they can evaluate that, and they can evaluate biomechanical issues too. You can also try the WebMD symptom checker http://www.webmd.com/search/search_results/default.aspx?query=symptom%20checker

Good luck. Rich