Includes Expert Content
Personal Safety and Exercising Outdoors
brunosbud posted:
Do you think being accompanied by a dog(s) reduces the threat of personal harm when exercising, outdoors. Are people more receptive & friendly to you when you walk your dog?

Why don't more people use dogs as their "workout buddy"?

I am a 56 yo male of average size. I live in a good neighborhood (Los Angeles & Orange County, CA) and I walk twice/day while walking a dog(s). I walk at 4:30AM & 7PM, everyday. I have two corgi's, about 30 lbs ea...

I've been asked if I had any money to spare but, other than that,
in the last 10 years, I have never had a threatening or confrontational incident that I can recall.

What's it like exercising outdoors in your area? Do you think women exercising alone is inherently dangerous where you live? Do you think being accompanied by a dog(s) reduces the threat of personal harm when exercising outdoors?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hey Brunosbud,

I can't speak about the safety although I suppose if it were a big dog, or a threatening one, it would help. What I can tell you is that there are studies to show that people with dogs tend to be more active. Have a look at this http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/14/forget-the-treadmill-get-a-dog/

Rich

brunosbud replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
To observe a dog respond to attention & play or a walk or run... how it shapes and transforms their overall disposition and demeanor...hammers home the point of what these activities do for us, too. I mean, if you want to raise a vicious and dangerous animal, just lock your dog in a garage or backyard, alone, 24/7 and, Voila!, you're now the proud owner of a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I find it interesting that Dr. Lodge, recognized as one of the top rated doctors in America, chooses EXERCISE and SOCIAL CONNECTIVITY as his topics of choice for a DIET board.

It's amazing what we can learn from our animals...

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
Thanks for your reply, Rich; much appreciated. You keep posting and I'll keep reading! Deal?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to brunosbud's response:
You got it.