Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Personal Safety and Exercising Outdoors
brunosbud posted:
Do you think being accompanied by a dog(s) reduces the threat of personal harm when exercising, outdoors. Are people more receptive & friendly to you when you walk your dog?

Why don't more people use dogs as their "workout buddy"?

I am a 56 yo male of average size. I live in a good neighborhood (Los Angeles & Orange County, CA) and I walk twice/day while walking a dog(s). I walk at 4:30AM & 7PM, everyday. I have two corgi's, about 30 lbs ea...

I've been asked if I had any money to spare but, other than that,
in the last 10 years, I have never had a threatening or confrontational incident that I can recall.

What's it like exercising outdoors in your area? Do you think women exercising alone is inherently dangerous where you live? Do you think being accompanied by a dog(s) reduces the threat of personal harm when exercising outdoors?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hey Brunosbud,

I can't speak about the safety although I suppose if it were a big dog, or a threatening one, it would help. What I can tell you is that there are studies to show that people with dogs tend to be more active. Have a look at this http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/14/forget-the-treadmill-get-a-dog/

Rich

brunosbud replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
To observe a dog respond to attention & play or a walk or run... how it shapes and transforms their overall disposition and demeanor...hammers home the point of what these activities do for us, too. I mean, if you want to raise a vicious and dangerous animal, just lock your dog in a garage or backyard, alone, 24/7 and, Voila!, you're now the proud owner of a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I find it interesting that Dr. Lodge, recognized as one of the top rated doctors in America, chooses EXERCISE and SOCIAL CONNECTIVITY as his topics of choice for a DIET board.

It's amazing what we can learn from our animals...

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
Thanks for your reply, Rich; much appreciated. You keep posting and I'll keep reading! Deal?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to brunosbud's response:
You got it.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 54 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.