Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Aerobic exercise makes me feel so sick
Melissa68 posted:
My question is why whenever I do aerobic exercise I feel so sick to my stomach and feel very shaky. I am not overweight and I am for the most part very active. I do not feel this way when I walk or bike. Any suggestions?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Swings in blood sugar can do this (if this is the case then a snack before can help). Sometimes during intense exercise acids are released in the gut and that can cause sickness in the stomach (a snack before can sometimes help). Dairy, energy drinks, and some medications can cause an upset stomach too (but not the shakiness). I don't understand what you mean by aerobic exercise if biking and walking doesn't cause this because they are aerobic as well, but maybe you mean a vigorous dance class with more jumping, bending, etc. The thing is, you should have your doctor involved to find out what's going on because it's not supposed to happen, and medical issues should be ruled out. Go ahead and either give your doctor a call and speak with him/her on the phone and see if they want you to come in, or just go ahead and make an appointment. The safe thing to do would be to hold off on any exercise that causes these symptoms until you speak with your doctor. I'm curious to know what's going on, and so if you get around to it, please let me know what you find out.

Take care, Rich

JoeLouden replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Actually, you may want to ask yourself why your are bothering to exercise in a manner that makes you ill in the first place since you seem to indicate that you are already fairly active. I am a certified personal trainer with many years of experience and I have seen many clients who do not tolerate aerobic exercise well at all (most of my clients fall into this catagory). They report increased fatigue during the day, tend to cancel training sessions more than clients who don't do aerobic training, get more injuries and illnesses, make less progress in there strength training, and many tend to gain weight due to their increased appetites. I see a lot better results in all measurable areas of fitness when I take clients off of aerobic training and have them just strength train. Many clients have substituted yoga or pilates for aerobic exercise and report that they feel much better. Personally, since I have given up all aerobic training, I haven't had a cold or the flu and have vastly improved my muscular strength. Good luck to you.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.