Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Being fatigued all the time after exercising
Gisli posted:
For the last six months or so I've noticed becoming tired and yawning when I do exercises. I do aerobics three times a week and Tai Chi twice a week. Every time I come home I've got to take a nap. I sleep eight hours at night and have not really any health issues.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Yawning during exercise is an interesting thing and it's not necessarily clear why it happens. Some people believe that yawning is the result of a lack of oxygen, but most people don't yawn during exercise, even at high intensities when oxygen may be in short supply. Some people think it might be a similar response to stretching like when you wake up in the morning, but again, it doesn't happen to most people.

What is known is that yawning is under the control of at least some of the following neurotransmitters: dopamine, acetylcholine, and serotonin. These neurotransmitters can be stimulated by exercise and that could explain it. These neurotransmitters could also explain the high some people get from exercise.

Other causes can be medications. For instance, some of the anti-depressants cause yawning. Sleep apnea can cause yawning from fatigue in overweight people.

You don't say when you work out, but maybe it's the time of day and you're just tired (even if you sleep 8 hours). Or maybe it's diet related; too many carbs, or you don't have enough calories in you when you work out.

If it's none of the above then I'm not sure what the cause could be. If you figure it out post back. I'm curious to know what you find.

Take care,
Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.