Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Exercises for flexibility ; concern over injury limitations
mmm1812 posted:
About 2 years ago, I had a kitchen accident that resulted in permanent nerve damage of my dominent right hand after extensive surgery, followed by physical therapy. Shortly after I was diagnosed with further problems of the same hand/arm/shoulder/neck (cervical radiculopathy) as a result of a disk bulge, arthritis, and rotator cuff injury. After more therapy, I began doing strength/cardio/balance training twice a week with my therapist, who is also a certified trainer, for overall health and because I felt he would help me be cautious with my injury limitations. I am 60 years old, and am in better shape and feel better then I have been in decades. I am now looking for activities to improve my overall flexibility. I have been looking at Yoga, but the flows are a bit too fast for me (I get dizzy), and the slower stretching exercises are difficult to do with my weak arm. Have you any suggestions of what I could look into?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
You might look again at a very basic yoga class, or maybe even splurge and have a few private lessons. Yoga will certainly do the trick. You could also go to www.collagevideo.com for yoga and general stretching videos. They have hundreds of DVD's and you would certainly find something that would help. I suppose you could also go back to your trainer and have him help you out.

Good luck with it. Rich

orvillejeanne2 responded:
I am seventy and we were in a car accident 2 years age and have a lot of same problems with bulging disks and now, arthritis has set in with a vengeance. I am so stiff and yell sometimes when I move in the mornings until I get going. I suggest water therapy. I haven't been doing it very long but the pool is 90 degrees and it sure feels good. Good Luck

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to orvillejeanne2's response:
Good for you.

mmm1812 replied to orvillejeanne2's response:
Water therapy sounds like a great idea! I can certainly relate to the morning "yell". I find that if I stretch in bed before I get up, then do a few squats/lunges/other exercises for just a few minutes when I get up, it helps me get over that morning stiffness. I also have discovered that a small piece of ginger helps (or Aleve if it's a very bad morning).
Much thanks.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.