Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Pear shape weight loss exercise
RajArora1978 posted:
I am pear shaped. I am 63 kg and my height is 5 feet 4 inches.

I want to reduce weight from hips and thighs. I could do running for 30 mins and skipping 20 mins. Please let me know is it enough for reducing 8 kg weight in 1 month.

If I deduct calories and carbs from my diet.

My current diet is:

I usually take egg, oats/milk and cornflakes in breakfast
and in lunch i take fruits and salad
In dinner i take 2 chapatis with vegetable and salad.
I take 2 cups of green tea in a day.

Please help in making my exercising schedule and diet plan

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Running will help burn fat and shape your legs, but you never know what the result will be until you try. So set up your running for 4-5 times a week and see how it goes. Genetics certainly plays a big role in body shape, so you should wait to see how it goes without too many expectations. As for losing 8kg in one month, that would be more than 4 pounds a week. So to do that you would need to cut out more than 2000 calories a day, every day, for 30 days. When you do the math, and start counting calories, you'll see that it's going to be next to impossible to do this unless you do something exceptionally drastic, and then almost certainly once you stop doing that and start eating regularly again you'll gain weight back. And that would be if you were even consuming more than 2000 calories a day, which I have to bet that you're not doing. And you also need to consider that your BMI is already in the healthy range at 23.7 so it's unrealistic to expect it to go to 20.8 in 30 days, and furthermore, why would you want to do that? There's research to show that you could even decrease your health by having a BMI that low. And even if you could get to that weight, chances are you will have a very difficult time maintaining it. My suggestion is to forget the scale and start focusing on body composition (the amount of muscle and fat on your body) and shaping your physique. You can measure your body fat with a BIA scal from Omron or Tanita, or have them take it at your gym. I also suggest that you take circumference measurements. The standard circumference measurements are arms (flexed and relaxed), chest (after a normal exhale), shoulders (the widest part), waist (the narrowest part below the ribs and above the belly button), abdomen (across the belly button), buttocks (at the maximum extension of the buttocks), gluteal/thigh (high on the thigh at the groove where the buttocks end), mid-thigh (halfway between the crease in the groin and the top of the knee cap), and calf (at the maximum circumference, either with leg hanging freely off a table or with legs 8 inches apart and weight distributed evenly). Keep the tape horizontal during measurements and pull the tape lightly so it indents the skin only slightly.

You can check the WebMD diet Communities for your nutrition questions.

Feel free to post back if you have more questions. Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.