Skip to content
Low-Impact Aerobics
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
If you've been advised to stick to low impact aerobics, the great news is that all forms of aerobic exercise give you about the same benefit. The only variables are intensity and duration, so you can find whatever works best for you. Most people find that either the elliptical or stationary bike works best, though some people do well with the treadmill -- angling up the ramp rather than increasing the speed, to provide an extra workout boost. If you have access to a pool, water aerobics can also be a great choice.

On the stationary bike front, there are people who like the recumbent bikes, or the classic seated exercise bikes, but most people end up preferring the spin bikes. They have a more natural feel, and spin class is a great way to get a low-impact but high-intensity workout.

The other nice thing about biking is that you can easily transition to outdoor biking as the seasons change, which is a great way to both get healthy exercise and spend time outdoors.

My own favorite is the good old fashioned NordicTrack Skier. It's simple, indestructible, and provides a great workout.

dejohnson9515 responded:
Elliptical machines meet my needs. Somehow, I feel my knees are strengthened and my cardio needs are me. As a tennis player I like the low impact of an elliptical machine.

scherryd responded:
I added ski poles to my daily walks. It has reduce the impact on my knees enormously, adds an upper body workout and stability on icy and uneven terrain, plus increases heart rate so I can maintain my max heart rate.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

losing weight
I am losing weight by counting calories. I am half way to my goal of losing 34 pounds. I find loseit.com helpful (or the app). More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.