Motivation to Exercise
Rich Weil, MEd, CDE posted:
Hi Everyone.

When you're not feeling like working out, what do you say to yourself so that you do it anyway? I tell myself that I'll feel bad if I don't. I want lots of energy during the day (a workout in the morning does that for me), and I also plan my day with my early morning run. No distractions, time to myself, and my brain getting blood to help me think clearly. In fact, I'm just about to go now.

If I don't get out of bed and do it then I know it all day. I don't like that feeling, so I do it. And of course, once I do, I feel good.

How about you?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

lovenj41 responded:
Hi Rich, I really liked your post and wanted to comment on it about myself. I have a lot of days were to I don't want to get out of bed just to exercise but I get up anyway not to exercise but to get my coffee That starts my day off and I get motivated but it takes me a while to get motivated...lol Then like you I feel bad sitting around so I kind a put myself down...lol and say to myself " What a lazy person I am" and I laugh and get up and take a long walk. I really wanna start doing more exercises but I am just not up to it..any idea's???? I am having trouble with my diet...lol Thanks for sharing your story!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to lovenj41's response:
Hi lovenj,

Your story sounds familiar! I've known plenty of people who have to "negotiate" exercise with themselves, which means something like what you're doing; that is, you frequently go through the same thing where you sit around, tell yourself how lazy you are, then get to it! It's like, that's your technique for getting yourself to do it. I don't see too much of a problem with that. If it works, go for it! As for doing more, why not start with something very realistic. Maybe a set or two of wall presses (or pushups if you can do them) after your walk. And after you get in the pattern of doing that, you build in another exercise. There's really no rush. As long as you stick with it you're going to be successful in the long run. Let me know what you decide to do! Rich

1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on responded:
I myself am not a morning person, I have worked out in the AM before and i have in fact had more energy. But for me personally, working out is a great way to destress and zone out so to speak. So I work out at night after work, i selected a gym that is on my way home, so i have to drive by it. I turn my ipod on and sort of get lost in the music and get my hour or so in at the gym and head home...feeling refreshed and relaxed.

bhamil999 responded:
do the whole "you are so lazy" thing as well. I also justify by saying things to myself like..."you worked out two days ago, doesn't that count?" I try to talk myself into doing what i am supposed to do and generally get up and do something. I hired a personal trainer 8 months ago and he has been "out" due to being a wrestling coach as well. It has been VERY difficult for me to keep up my workout routine without him proding me along the way. I have bought a set of dumbbells and borrowed his olympic straight bar so I can practice at home. Motivating yourself to do the right thing is always a very difficult thing to do but we have to remind ourselves of the benefit we get from doing it. I have lost 109 lbs so far and have about 40 to go. I NEVER imagined I would be on this end of the weight loss scale. When I weighed over 300 lbs it seemed impossible that I would lose 100 lbs. Now I am only 40 lbs from my goal. It has given me the opportunity to experience life differently than I was experiencing at 300 lbs. I almost run when I walk because I am so much lighter. As a matter of fact I bought my first pair of running shoes this week. I have always wanted to participate in a sport but have been overweight most of my life. I have decided I am going to do this for me. I am going to RUN!!!!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to 1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on's response:
You found something that works. Good for you.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to bhamil999's response:
It's terrific to read an inspiring story like this. Congratulations! It has to feel unbelievable. Good for you. You've earned it.

lovenj41 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thanks for your response Rich, I notice the more I get up and everyday and do a little of walking it makes me motivated...and that's what I have been doing for a few days even though I was stuck in the house because of the snow storm, I still got up and did a lot of cleaning and extra choirs..Yesterday and today was nice so I did my little walking and took your advice when I came back from my walk I did some crunches for my belly...I am a little sore from the crunches but that tells me that its working! Thanks Again

lovenj41 replied to 1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on's response:
Hi 1nt3rnalC0mbu5ton...Whatever works for you just do it, as for me I am a morning person , I am well rested in the morning and have energy, I use to be like you was when I was young. Now I am 43 years old and I have changed. Sounds like a good idea with the ipod..I do love my music and it gets me going! and I agree about you saying you feel refreshed and relaxed..thats because your sticking to you plan and doing good and feeling good...Good Luck Trisha

lovenj41 replied to bhamil999's response:
Hi bhamil999, it has been hard for me to get up and workout but the more you do it , the more you feel better about yourself! The more you want to do it. Good Luck Trisha
PS Let me know how its going with you

lovenj41 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thanks again!

bhamil999 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
It is not something that I can make anyone understand that has not been where I have been. I am now at a weight that I haven't seen since I was 17 years old. I am now 44 years old. My newest battle is giving up the smokes. Today is the first day of a new journey for me. I have stopped smoking on many occasions. I have even stopped for 10 years before. I am no spring chicken and I have to stop thinking I can start tomorrow. Just like the day I tied on my running shoes I tell myself "All journey's start with one step." I am taking that step and I have no fear or angst of what I am missing I have only delight and joy of what I will be gaining during this new endeavor.

brunosbud replied to bhamil999's response:
I quit a long time ago, I can't remember when. But, I do remember this. My "crew" wanted me to stop as bad as I did.

My daughter and son, at the time, 6 & 8, helped me to quit smoking. I took it one day at a time, my family counted down each day; the pressure was enormous! My girl checked my pockets when I came home for work...My wife sniffed my clothes...My son searched the car, everyday...My mom called me all the time!...Two weeks in, I knew I had beat it.

You're ready to quit, now. You'll make it. Just think, "little victories". Oh, one more thing...

You're not alone, you know?

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to lovenj41's response:
You're welcome

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to bhamil999's response:
That's true. Unless you've lived it my experience is that it's hard for people to understand. You've done good work. I agree with what you say except the spring chicken part at 44!!! That sounds springy to me! Keep up the good work.