Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Elliptical
pallzy posted:
Would you be able to give me any insight on why my feet go numb while using the elliptical trainer? I can only stay on it for about 20 minutes before my feet - especially the left - starts to go numb. Could it be bad form, bad shoes, or just probably poor circulation?
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 159

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Foot numbness on the elliptical is common and it generally happens around 20-25 minutes. First, make sure your shoe laces are not too tight and that your toes have enough room in the toe box to wiggle around. Second, shift your feet on the machine every few minutes and wiggle your toes. These techniques will get blood flowing and nerve sensation back to your toes. If all else fails then you may need to get off the machine and walk around for a few minutes, and if that doesn't work or you don't want to do that then you may just need to do the elliptical and some other machine. Let me know what happens. Rich

pallzy replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you. I will have to try to remember to shift my feet and see if that helps. I've been changing to either the exercise bike or the treadmill once my feet starting getting numb, but they don't give me the same calorie burn as the elliptical.
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 159

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to pallzy's response:
You're welcome. Let me know what happens.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

8 habits of successful dieters
8 habits of successful dieters More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.