Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Emotional Eating
danielleclarks posted:
Hi, I am struggling with emotional eating and unable to stop. Any suggestions to overcome this????

ajjaypai1971 responded:
have a suggestion for you.. and trust me i have put on 30lbs doing this.

what i did, was to start Exercising.. nothing over the top.
just start with basic elliptical for 20 mins. and stretching.

what happened to me when i did the excercise is that my mind got more relaxed and i feel light. that way i get my mood up. and also when you see how difficult it is to burn calories, you will automatically think before you eat.

and all this while im still in as bad an emotional state as i am when i started..! and no im no a gym junkie.. i still exercise light, about an hour a day. and i have done this for over 6 months and lost 30lbs.

still emotionally in the same place but in control of my eating, because my mind is not on exercise..

HTH

ajjaypai1971 replied to ajjaypai1971's response:
typo... i mean my mind is on exercise.. while in the same emotional state

ajjaypai1971 responded:
just to mention.. i have changed my diet significantly.. ice creams( no matter how bad i want it) once a month,. i eat fruits mixed with yogurt instead.

my typical day: i eat good heavy breakfast EVERYDAY, decent lunch, and then im done for the day. from there on its all fruits and veggies.

and yes, i have my day at IHOP about once every two weeks.
i joined a yoga class. so when i eat heavy stuff, i cant do my yoga classes and that makes me sad. this is another way i ensure i keep my food intake in check. and since yoga is not cheap, the more i attend the cheaper it gets, which in turn means i have to eat sensibly to make the classes i attend more effective..

HTH

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi Danielle,

Try these books
http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Diet-Solution-Weight-Workbook/dp/0848731913

http://www.amazon.com/First-Bite-Complete-Recovery-Addiction/dp/1558747540/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360768225&sr=1-1&keywords=from the first bite

Of course, examining your thoughts and feelings at the time you eat is helpful. Sometimes the thoughts are untrue and cause the emotions to rage, which causes you to eat more to calm yourself (food definitely works to do this, but helps only in the short term). A simple technique if you can catch it fast enough before things spiral out of control is to take am oment to stop and think, and to deep breathe. That can sometimes take away the urge. It can be hard to sit with anxiety or other charged emotions and not eat them away, but there are ways to deal with the feelings so that you can gain control of eating. Keep a journal of when these episodes occur and what was going on that preceeded them. Feel free to post back if you like, and visit the WebMD Diet Communities too as you are not the only person to experience this. Support and ideas from others can be very helpful.

Take care,
Rich

missmixon responded:
I know what you mean! I have to work out just to keep from GAINING weight. It is so frustrating since I eat healthy and exercise regularly that I am still not where I want to be physically because of my "bored", "lonely"...did I say "bored"? eating. A book I have read that helps a lot is Geneen Roth's "Breaking Free From Emotional Eating." Keep it around once you have read it, because you will probably want to reread it in a few years to reset yourself again. She has a website with many other books related to eating issues.

Southerntigger12 responded:
I am the same way and gained alot of weight from doing that. I talked to my Dr and he recommended a diabetic diet and to cut out all soda.
I also have been working out 6 days a week on a treadmill, or with weights and I am trying yoga to help get my mind in a better place.

An_250863 responded:
Hi Danielle, i too struggle with emotional eating, it is our drug of choice. You have to eat in a structured way to overcome. By having routine food items and writing everything down, it makes you more accountale. example: breakfast, protein bar at least 10 grams of protein or more, then eat a snack, a serving of protein and then a serving of something else, carb good or bad, if the packages says the serving is 2 cookies eat a tables poon of peanut butter and the cookes. keep a journal. find out what emotions are triggering you to think you are hungry.. just TOPS.ORG and look for a chapter near you. 28.00 a year and the weekly dues, weigh in and accountability and measuring and weighing with the support of others who have the same problems. our pledgeis i am an intelligent person i will contol my emotions and not let my emotions control me.... EXERCISE helps you burn off some of that extra nervous energy and drink lots of water, I overeat because i'm thirsty and it takes lots and lots of food to make up for the lost water. God Bless I will pray for you and you pray for me.

WOOBIE1 replied to Southerntigger12's response:
and i think our personalities are all black or all white, I dont do grey VERY well at alll....

pavany responded:
I am over weight by 17 kgs. My height is 5.11 inches, as per my height i should be 75 kgs. now i am 92 kgs. how to reduce 17 kgs.

i have tried all modes of exercise, but i could not succeed.

whether if reduce my food habits, i will reduce my weight.

please guide me.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 57 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.