Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Nausea and vomiting during exercise
kmc0261 posted:
Hello, I am a 6'1, 167 pound male that is 25 years old. I have exercised and played sports my entire life, including football at the college level for a short time. Last May during my regular weight lifting I began getting nauseous during my workouts, regardless of how hard I was working. At that time I was weighting 185. For the next 6 months I was throwing up and getting sick regularly with our without workouts, but always when I worked out or elevated my heart rate. After seeing 4 ddoctors, many expensive tests, it was determined I have bad acid reflux. Medicine has fixed the day to day problems, but I continue to get sick when I exercise, and this is getting very annoying. If there is any advice anyone could give I would really apprciate it. I cant afford to go see any more doctors and the lack of exercise and sports is beginning to take a tole on my everyday life. Any help is apprciated. I currently take Prilosec for my reflux.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi kmc,

Sometimes acid is released int he gut with exercise and that's why you get acid reflux with it. I don't know the meds for it, but perhaps you need a little more to cover exercise. You probably ought to speak with the doctor about it. Another explanation could be something in your diet. Maybe dairy, or energy drink like Gatorade, other concentrated sugar drinks, high fiber, aspirin, products with sorbitol, or large doses of vitamin C. Look for patterns of what you eat and when the problem happens, or when it's worse. I'm curious to know what other medical conditions were ruled out before they diagnosed reflux.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 59 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.