Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
knee stiffness
bhamil999 posted:
I had an orthopedic surgeon tell me it was possible that I have a torn meniscus. I had an MRI done but it was inconclusive. I am quite active with lifting weights and walking daily. I experience stiffness in the back of my right knee on the inside. I wrap it with an ace bandage off and on. I stretch some. It is uncomfortable to stretch this area at times. I do a LOT of squats, weighted, and I don't want to injure my knee further but I also don't want to stop weight training. Will the continual use cause more damage? There is rarely pain just a feeling of being inflamed or swollen.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
The meniscus is a cushion between bones, and if there is a tear, then one could see that it could progress under stress of loading. My suggestion is to have a second opinion and ask the surgeon what he or she thinks of the prognosis and any limitations. Strengthening the legs almost always helps to take some of the stress off of torn menisci, it's just that it has to be done obviosuly without making it worse (e.g., straight leg raises, or leg extension at terminal extension - the final range of motion). And of course all of this depends on the degree of tear. Here's a WebMD that might be helpful.
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/meniscus-tear-topic-overview

Good luck. Rich

bhamil999 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you. I will talk to my trainer about strengthening this area more specifically. I used to have a lot of pain in the knee but with all the squats and lunges I do the knee has improved except for the stiffness that occurs occassionally. i will consider a second opinion if the stiffness does not subside when my workout routine increases next week.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to bhamil999's response:
You're welcome. Let me know how it works out.

bhamil999 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
so far I still have considerable stiffness in the back of my knee. It is not changing in severity since i have increased my workout. I may need to go back to the ortho. i don't want to do anything to my knee that will prevent me from lifting. I don't want surgery even if that is the only way to fix this. I will deal with the stiffness. It is better when I take a diuretic but I can't live on those.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to bhamil999's response:
Ok, got it. Good luck with it, and again, if you find a solution please let me know.

Take care,
Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Love handles
You cannot spot exercise. I went on mostly carb-free diet for several months. I did eat fruits and veggies, but eliminated breads, cereals ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.