Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Post-workout Illness
EgoSum777 posted:
Let's start off with the question at hand. Why is it that some people become sick after beginning a workout routine? I'm not talking about pushing hard and vomiting during a workout or feeling nauseated right after. I'm referring to the days/weeks lost post-workout because I (and others) am too sick to get out of bed.

I have done due research on the open web and have discovered numerous proposed reasons. Some of these include a temporary weakening of the immune system, a "healing crisis" resulting from the metabolized fats/increased immune system killing off dormant pathogens, poor diet, ad. nauseam. None seem to agree with one another and there is nothing concrete.

If the simple answer is "we don't know" then so be it. I'll work with that but I'd like something remotely concrete, both for myself and all those out there who share the same headache,throatache, stomachache, bodyache, etc.

In advance, I thank anyone/everyone who replies with legitimate answers. Any help you provide is most appreciated. For now, the workout continues.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
You're most likely not going to find one answer. Too many variables. A thorough physical exam with blood work at the time when you're sick would be indicated. That would look for signs of infection, thyroid, adrenal and other factors; you would need work up for respiratory infections, headaches, inner ear disturbance including vertigo, GI distrubance, cardiac, etc. . You would need to look at rhumatoid factors, and at diet, any insufficiencies, and perhaps a pattern of certain foods when it occurs. I suggest if you want to have a go at it to see an endocrinologist first while you are showing symptoms. Good luck. Do post back if you ever figure it out. Others have the same issue and would be grateful to know.

EgoSum777 replied to Rich Weil, MEd, CDE's response:
Thank you for your reply. I had no illusions of a simple answer but I was hoping to keep the guess work to a minimum. I have consulted my family MD in the past and he has found nothing significant wrong with me. At least, nothing that would explain the issues I have. I simply come down with a severe sore throat/sinus infection every time I begin a workout routine. I am thinking that it's lingering affects from all the cigarette smoking I used to do but that's my own little bit of guesswork. I'll keep trying to get some confirmation.

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE replied to EgoSum777's response:
Ok, got it. If you ever do get the right answer please post back. Take care. Rich

An_250640 replied to EgoSum777's response:
Does the problem occur at more than one gym? I'd suspect environmental causes; i.e. mold, cleaning products and practices, etc, unless it is happening at more than one location.

Jim, retired RN

Remone replied to An_250640's response:
I had a similar problem and began breathing through a mask - indoors and outdoors while exercising and the problem was solved. I also upped my supplement intake including:
vit D3 3-4000 mg/day
omega 3-6-9 _ 3 caps / day
Astanaxthan 1 unit/ day
vit B12 - 1 unit
This seemed to help and I have been fine since. Try slowing your workout down to see if it helps and or speeding it up in intensity - keep it about half an hour long but as intense as you can handle - when you can handle it. No more than 10 seconds between sets. high reps to fail
hope this helps.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.