Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Exercise Equipment for Osteoprosis
Webfuut posted:
I have had osteoprosis for many years and getting worse as refuse to take medications and not doing anything for it.. I'm now retired and want to start weight bearing exercises to help build bone density. I live a distance from any gyms so want to know of a good all purpose at home machine to help with building bone. Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
Hi Wefuut,

I recommend exercise tubing for resistance exercise. A machine will be exepnsive and not have the versatility that tubing does. Tubing is inexpensive and versatile (you can do lots of exercises with them even in a chair) and a great way to get started with resistance exercise. You can start with a set of three for about $20. They come in colors to denote the tension If you've been sedentary and feel like you could really use an incresae in strength, then start with a light one and the two heavier ones above it with more tension. If you order them make sure to order the strap that allows you to attach the tube to a door (this is essential for many exercises), and if you want to work your legs, ask for leg straps. Here are some vendors that sell them.

www.performbetter.com/catalog/default.asp
www.power-systems.com

And here's a site with great videos http://www.body-mind-strength.com/resistance_tube_exercises/resistance_tube_exercises.html

And you can check www.collagevideo.com for resistance exercise DVD's

And simple walking will help to build bones in the hips and spine.

Good luck.
Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 57 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.