Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
red faced from minimal exercise "help"
niamhis posted:
hi everyone i was just wondering do any of you suffer with this ? red face now i mean really red face from working out ? i get it even after minimal exercise and it can take up to 2 hours to properly cool down , which is really horrible when you have places to be after your workout ! can this be helped at all ? any advise will be greatly appreciated

Rich Weil, MEd, CDE responded:
This is very common. Muscles produce heat during exercise and the heat must be released. You either sweat or dilate blood vessels, or both, to do so. Some people sweat more than others. If you don't sweat much then the dilation of blood vessels, which carry the heat from the muscles to the skin surface, allows for the release of the heat. Typically the face turns red when vessel dilation is the main source of heat release. Fair complected people have this happen more than darker skinned people.
There's nothing dangerous about it. You can try a fan blowing directly on you while you exercise, and/or a cold wet towel on your face during and after exercise to reduce it, but you can't stop it entirely. Rich

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.