Skip to content
Am I starving myself?
ejmatt posted:
Over the past 2 years I have lost 72 lbs. I am 27, 5'9" and 225. I am trying to lose another 60 lbs to be within my healthy BMI range but recently I hit a snag. I plateaued at about 235 so I reevaluated my diet and am consuming 1,500 calories a day and eating very healthy every 3-4hours to keep my metabolism going. I also incorporated strength training 3 days a week (MWF) with my usual aerobics 3 days a week (TThSa) and 10,000 steps every day. It helped me shed 10 lbs but I hit another plateau. It has been 3 months and my weight and measurements haven't changed. Recently a friend suggested that I may be starving myself and should have a 'cheat day'. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I be eating more or have a 'cheat day'? Any help would be appreciated.

ejmatt responded:
I forgot to mention I am female and that I measure all my food and rarely eat out.

brunosbud responded:
Congratulations on your 72 lb weight loss, ejmatt.

What does your blood panels & metabolics say? Blood pressure, fasting blood glucose, cholesterol levels (LDL & HDL), liver and kidney function parameters, c reactive protein, RBC count and hemoglobin, Vitamin D, etc...In other words, how is your health, quantitatively, speaking?

I think you should focus on maintaining the highest level of nutrition, possible, get plenty of rest and, without question, keep daily activity level, as high as possible. If you do this, your weight will reduce, automatically.

Yesterday, reporters grilled 23 year old golfing genius, Rory McIlroy, on what he needs to do stay World #1.

"Look, guys, it's a 'process'...If I stay focused on improving my game and focus on playing every golf shot to the very best of my abilities, the World Ranking, the Money...all the accolades...they'll take care of themselves..."
In other words, don't worry about the weight; just worry about the "process" and let the weight fall where it may.

Hint: Activity and movement are key...MMA fighters can consume as much as 6,000-7,000 calories per day and struggle to keep weight on. For several years, now, I've averaged between 13,000-15,000 steps, daily...my weight hasn't budged in over 2 years.

1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on responded:
ejmatt,

Congrats on your weight loss!!! Id have to agree with Bruno, it is a process and once you have committed to making those life changes, stick with them and the results will come.

As for starving yourself, I wouldnt think that you are, considering the average diet is based off of 2000 calories. And if you watch the biggest loser, i believe their diets are around 1200 to 1500 cals. But if you eat the right things, you can eat a ton of food and stay with in your limits. Lots of fruits and veggies and lean proteins.

As for the cheat day, i have read a couple of articles in fitness magazines in regards to the topic. the way i look at it is, if im doing all this work and i have lost this weight, i should be able to reward myself with a treat. But do it in moderation, a slice of pizza or a cheeseburger once every month or two isnt going to derail your fitness goals. If anything it may motivate you to work harder the next day because you did give yourself that treat.

On the other hand it could be a catch 22, that burger or pizza could open pandora's box and someone could put the weight back on. So it comes down to will power and self control I

Best of luck!

IC

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.