Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do You Have the Strength?
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
American life expectancy has risen so far and so fast that retirement planners now tell a generally healthy couple in their 60s to plan on at least one of them reaching their mid 90s. Even if you're prepared financially, have you invested enough in your body to keep you going until 90? Becoming a weak older person is a very dangerous concept, and very likely to end with you in a nursing home, or severely limited in your physical mobility.

So how do you make sure you'll have what it takes to stay in the game? Go to the gym, and do hard weight training a couple days a week, and keep showing up week after week. As unpleasant as that sounds, it is actually not that big a deal. In exchange, you get twenty years of functional independence and vitality, and the ability to live life on your terms for the road ahead.

StephenVajda responded:
You are absolutely correct. I started weight training 3 yrs ago, lost 25 lbs/8 inches from my waist. I do it every day now, enjoy it, and plan to keep it up. I'm 60 but my wife thinks I look pretty good.

scherryd responded:
I just turned 62 and got a wake-up call when someone handed me their baby and I couldn't lift him. I realized I needed to work on upper body strength. Also got bad cholesterol results and don't want to take meds. In the past 3 months I've changed my diet, increasing fiber (more fresh vegetables, fruits, beans, and salmon, less meat, saturated fat and sugar.

Also increased my daily walk speed to maintain my max heart rate. I know I need to add strength/resistance training and flexibility workouts but haven't achieved a regular routine.

BTW: I'm using WebMD to track food and exercise. I've almost achieved my target weight in 3 months and I have more stamina going uphill when walking. A note to my lifestyle: I live remotely and driving to a gym isn't an option so I need to devise a workout that is home/outdoor based and self-motivated.

Looking forward to hearing more on this topic. I need to motivate![a style="cursor: pointer; color: rgb(0, 102, 153);" onclick="LoginCreatePost(this,'fitness-and-exercise-exchange','3'); return false;" class="template-reply-post" id="exchange-post-enabled_A8">

Lefty2121 replied to scherryd's response:
Was it an average weight baby or maybe it was too heavy to begin with...

pipercat responded:
Hello,

This is a great subject that is rarely mentioned. More attention must be given to older people. Please make this a regular section of the WebMD. It is sorely missing.....
Thank you, Nicole

An_250982 responded:
Thank you Dr., I'm 71 years old and do moderate aerobic exercise and no "hard weight training" once a week. What would be the immediate benefit of doing 20 min two days a week of push ups and or free weight lifting"

Regards,

LionCarlos

monajb responded:
I just retired (age 67) the end of 2012 and began spending 5 hours at the gym working out, taking Yoga classes and also Muscle Strengthening/Range of Motion classes. I've never felt better. I also am tracking my calories in/out on WebMD. Although I have never been overweight, I just feel better, healthier and have more energy. I wish I would have found time to exercise more when I was working 50 hours a week.

rickrocker responded:
Exercise is wonderful for the mind, body and soul. I alternate between running, walk briskly (with ankle and arm weights), and do weight lifting. I also love to listen to music while I'm working out. I've found the best music for working out to be Grand Funk Railroad, The legendary Shack Shakers (Icabod is my favorite workout song by them) and The Asymmetrics. Not only do i feel better after working out, but i get a heavy dose of music, as well..so it is a win-win situation....."we're an American Band!!!"

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Love handles
You cannot spot exercise. I went on mostly carb-free diet for several months. I did eat fruits and veggies, but eliminated breads, cereals ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.