When injuries prevent certain exercise
eddiev1261 posted:
I would REALLY love to get back in the swing of walking my dog a mile or two after work, but I have a really badly damaged right knee and I have maybe 1000 yards in that knee per day before the pain is so intense I am almost in tears. What kind of exercise can I do in spite of that knee?

I do have a stationary bike. Would someone come over every day and force me to ride it for a half hour?

MarkM11 responded:
I need both my knees replaced. I have tried as many treatments as I can think, without getting the relief I needed to be able to walk my dog or do any excercising. I am in my early 50's and do not want to get my knees replaced yet. I posed this to my doctor, and he suggested braces for my knees. I discovered that the sames braces that are available for atheletes, especially football lineman, were available to me. I am not out on a football field running around, but I am able to walk my dog and function with little pain.

xxxpartygirl responded:
Eddie,
I undersatand what you are going through. I broke my Left knee in half 13 years ago. It`s been crazy, with tring to gain back rom to it. I still get pain but walking is the best thing and keeping up with it. An yoga ball is great. sit on it a rock back and forth and try to get it to bend more and more every time.Just remember the more you use it the better it is and the less you use it the stiffer it becomes. Also get massages for it. I am also a massage therapist I have a client I see who has both knee replacements, and the massage help him out so much. i hope I was able to help but use it and just do it no excuses.

eddiev1261 responded:
Thing with my knee is that the existing damage is so bad that no braces will help. The injury was in 1972 and was not treated properly. As years went by, now 41 years, the thigh bone has worn its way into the shin bone by almost 3/8", and there is bone to bone contact on every move. If you looked at my x-ray, it would look like if you balled your right fist and cupped your left palm around it. It's really a mess. I do the best I can but man, my foot doesn't even face directly forward anymore because the joint damage has turned my leg a little. I don't yet quack when I walk, but that is coming soon.