Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Senior exercise, medications and heart disease
lsj1938 posted:
I'm a 74 yr old male with a history of heart disease (stent, angioplasties). .I'm exercising vigorously 3 to 4 times a week. Weight training, treadmill and stepper. I feel no chest discomfort when exercising other than getting winded. In the aftermath of a hard session I was so burned out that I did nothing the rest of the day and had a feeling of exhaustion.
Is it possible that my medications (Diovan, amlodipine besylate, metotoprol, isosorbide mononitrate) are masking some of the response to the exercise and I am overdoing it. It's day 2 and I still feel like a wet rag.

crisxcross responded:
Isj1938,

While at 60, you are 14 years my senior. My exercise regime would in deed be excessive if I only did 1/2 of yours. (I, likewise have 21 stents long history of Heart Disease, as well my friend.)

It could be the medications. Please, ask your Cardiologist about each, they indeed may need adjusted, however, I am not at all qualified to take that on.

Other advice, is always free. people, lots of 'em read WebMD.

In the meantime...Here's an idea.

Maybe, try supplementing 25 - 50% of your total workout time with the following ideas? Tai-Chi, Yoga-type Stretching, Meditation (visual or audio enhanced) Bicycling, Coaching, Sauna, Jacuzzi, Martial Arts, Dog Walking, Plant a garden, etc. etc. You see where I am coming from?

I think Heart Disease comes with good ol' dose of "Anxiety" and, plenty of it! Please recognize that, and be the one who's In Control, of that which leaves your body and mind feeling like a "Wet Rag"

Also you can make a short checklist starting with:

1.) Your Doctor must be involved in any physical regiment changes or medication problems. (really the most important)

2.) Perhaps curtail down the NFL Linebacker Workouts a bit. (only for now.)

3. Lastly, which ever way you choose to manage your exercise, never let your passions exhaust you again in body or mind. (not to sound profound, just not worth it )

Positively, you are the one will fix and/or control this.
Hang in there, good luck and do check back with WebMD soon.

Regards,

CrisxCross

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 56 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.