Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Very cold DURING exercise?? Low blood pressure?
yeahmkay posted:
I'm female, 19 years old, and, while I am currently in god-awful shape, I have a slender physique. I suffer no health conditions that I know of other than cold urticaria (hives induced by the cold) and ADD. I also have low blood pressure naturally, though I THOUGHT that was supposed to be a good thing. I also think that I have neurally mediated hypotension, which is a kind of low blood pressure where blood pools in your legs the longer you stand, but I haven't talked to my doctor about it. I think I have it though because I've noticed that, after standing for a while, I have to sit down while other people are able to keep standing. I start getting light headed if I'm up too long and I fainted once.

Anyways, today I went for a run for the first time in a long time and took it very easy. It was really more of a jog, and I set a timer for 30 minutes. About 20 minutes in, however, my upper body started getting very cold. My hands and arms drained of color, I got goosebumps everywhere, and I broke out in hives on my hands and wrists! This was WHILE I was exercising! I then started to feel light headed, so at 28 minutes I stopped my timer and sat down to warm up. I legitimately could not make it the last 2 minutes to finish my run, I HAD to sit down right then. When I stopped running and walked to a bench, my legs felt like they were liquid, but not in a bad way, just like my muscles had been warmed to a rubbery consistency and like they were very flexible. I sat for a minute or two, got up, and finished my run. As I was walking back to my house, my hands and arms turned bright red, though the goosebumps and hives remained. When I got home, my feet were red and very warm to the touch, while my hands were ice cold. I put my legs up over my head for a few minutes and now I'm back to normal.

Why did this happen? Do you think it has anything to do with my potential neurally mediated hypotension? Isn't exercising supposed to help with low blood pressure though because it gets your heart pumping? How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks!

PetuniaPea responded:
Maybe it is low blood pressure. But perhaps it can also be that you're anemic...possibly low on iron...I know that feeling cold is a symptom of that. Not sure if being low on B12 (another form of anemia) also causes the feeling of being cold.

Your thyroid horomones can also be low...again, feeling cold is one of the symptoms of that.

Not to scare you, but it could be an underlying heart condition. I have tachycardia, which is a fast, irregular heartbeat that beats over 100 bpm...haven't had an episode in a while, but when I did in my 20s while I was running, I felt light headed, muscles felt rubbery, among a whole other list of symptoms, but those were two you mentioned. Not saying you have tachycardia, but there could be some relation to the heart.

Bottom line, talk to your doctor. It could be something benign and just happens to you, and it's a pain but you'll live with it, OR it could be something more serious, you never know until you seek help. Explain everything and see what they say...maybe blood tests or other referrals have to be given.

yeahmkay replied to PetuniaPea's response:
Thank you for responding. I've been tested for anemia and I actually have pretty high hemoglobin levels! I will look into the tachycardia and see if I recognize any more symptoms in myself! Also, I do not constantly feel cold, it was only when I was exercising, and it went away after I stopped.

PetuniaPea replied to yeahmkay's response:
You're welcome! Like I said, I doubt you have tachycardia because you would know! Heart skips a beat then starts racing at unimaginable beats per minute, chest tightness, dizziness/lightheadedness, shortness of breath, panic that you could be having a heart attack but you're not...these are all things that I experience with that condition! I was just mentioning that it could be something heart-related in general.

Found something interesting about feeling cold just after exercising, but it may fit your situation...it's from: http://seek4fitness.net/Articles/View/FAQ-about-exercise-and-health.html

"Why do I often feel cold just after exercising?
When you get cold, even feel cold or get goose bumps at the end of an exercise session or after, you are dehydrated, that is, your body requires water. During exercising, heat from your working muscles is transported by the aid of water to your skin where it is transformed into sweat. If there is too little fluid in your body, it will start "economising" on the water so that less water and blood will be transported to your skin. The skin then feels less warm. Another economising mechanism consists in the sweat glands in your skin contracting, producing the small bumps on your skin called goose bumps. What is seen in your skin are the small muscles and when they are contracted, your skin will give off less water. That is why you get goose bumps when you need water. One or both signs often indicate dehydration, unless the air is cold where you exercise. That may also be the reason why you get cold."

yeahmkay replied to PetuniaPea's response:
Oh, that makes sense! Now I know why this has never happened to me before--I was dehydrated this time!! I'll be sure to drink more fluids next time before I run! Thanks so much!!

PetuniaPea replied to yeahmkay's response:
Glad I could be of help...good luck in the future and take care!

rohvannyn replied to yeahmkay's response:
Quick question: if you are still out there, when you get lightheated while standing, are you locking your knees? That can cause you to feel faint or pass out.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Love handles
You cannot spot exercise. I went on mostly carb-free diet for several months. I did eat fruits and veggies, but eliminated breads, cereals ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.