Skip to content
Shortness of breath
awalraven posted:
I am 51 and consider myself to be in very good health. I am not over weight and exercise regularly. However, I get out of breath easily during any type of cardio. I try to regulate my breathing but it really doesn't help. I don't have any other symptons that could be a medical problem. When I get really winded my wind pipe actually hurts. Is it possible that I just don't breath correctly? I read one article that your diaphragm and other breathing muscles can get lazy. I am a secretary so nothing abut my day to day job is strenous enough to increase my heart rate.
I am one of the few people who actually enjoy exercising and I would really like to do some running but i can only run a few yards then have to stop to catch my breath. I have stopped doing most any type of cardio and just focus on strength training. I know cardio is important. Any advice?

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
44 of 58 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.