Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What can I do to strengthen my core?
PetuniaPea posted:
Hi, I'm 5'0," weigh 105 lbs, late 30s, and I'm looking to strengthen my core. I don't need to lose weight and my stomach is not big at all, it's just not toned!

I have issues with my neck and upper back (pain, stiffness, spasms), so I can't do sit-ups or crunches, and even Pilates makes my neck and back WORSE.

What exercises can I do to strengthen my core that will not aggravate my neck and back? Do you have a favorite core-strenghtening "move?"

I know that if I can strenghten my core, my posture will improve and perhaps my neck and upper back issues will lessen as well.

Also, I dance to music, walk, do yoga poses that target my neck and back and hips and legs. Are those activities enough to strengthen my core, or are more targeted exercises needed?

Thanks!

PetuniaPea responded:
Anyone? If anyone has any suggestion or where I can go online to find core-strengthing moves I would greatly appreciate any help I can get!

bartoned responded:
Check out this website:
http://fusionperformancetraining.com/what-makes-activeage-different/

I have been using the Fusion program to strengthen my core ofor over 2 years. Exceptional results!

PetuniaPea replied to bartoned's response:
Thanks, but I don't believe in paying any money to get fit! I'm looking for a few basic moves I can do at home to strengthen my core without straining my neck.

rohvannyn replied to PetuniaPea's response:
There's a bunch of stuff on WebMD actually, everything from slideshows to videos. Don't forget to look at the various moves for seniors because they tend to be gentle and low impact. Here's a directory to get you started:

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/core-training-directory

PetuniaPea replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thanks Rohvannyn, I never thought to look at WebMd for core training! I see a lot of things that I can do that look fun and won't cause injury, like the yoga poses for toning the core and the off-balance core moves (slideshow) to name a couple.

P.S. How did you know I was an 83 year old woman trapped in a 38 year old's body?

I certainly feel like that at times! BUT my pain has gone down since I improved my diet within the last couple years!

rohvannyn replied to PetuniaPea's response:
You are welcome! Sometimes the best resources are right under our noses. I've noticed that improving my diet really reduces my physical discomfort as well, so I'm with you there.

kalimiller replied to PetuniaPea's response:
Kim from teh 50-100 board has posted lots of links to exercise videos

http://forums.webmd.com/3/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange/forum/2753

I know that there are a lot of people in our community that have back or knee problems (or arthritis, neck problems, etc., etc., ) and so there should be something there that you might be able to do

kalimiller replied to PetuniaPea's response:
http://forums.webmd.com/3/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange/forum/2753

Kim has posted a few videos on that exchanged that you might want to look into - one in particular that comes to mind is the seated core video.

kalimiller replied to kalimiller's response:
That's awkward...it said that it didn't post the first one...so I made a second one. Oh well.

PetuniaPea replied to kalimiller's response:
Thanks kalimiller...that's happened to me a couple times, too!

Checked out the link and it's GREAT! A lot of great stuff. Plus, I've always been curious about tai chi, now I can try it out.

Again, I never would have found Kim's post as I usually hang out in the diet community board and the 10-25 board. Thanks again.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 54 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.