Skip to content
Help to understand heart rate while exercising
An_251265 posted:
I'm overweight female (216 lbs.) at age 53. Been working out many years and have a heart rate monitor on my wrist. According to this device I'm working out at 85-90% of my maximum heart rate in spin bike classes I do twice a week. I may be getting stronger but I haven't lost any weight. I have exercise induced asthma and take one puff before working out of ventolin. If I take the medicine or not, my heart rate is around the same. Why can't I lose this weight? I also do a body pump class which is pretty hard and a low impact muscle conditioning class on another day. I work out 5 days a week (3 of which are intensive hour-long classes).

PetuniaPea responded:
I read in Reader's Digest that people only lose 3% of their body fat with just exercise alone. And people lose more body fat and weight when they combine exercise with improved diet.

Since the time you started working out...have you also revamped your diet?

If not,
1) Check to see if you're reducing the amount of calories in your diet...but not extreme reduction! Just a couple or few hundred calories will do.

2) Reduce your sugar/processed food intake...those sabotage any weight loss efforts!

3) Stay hydrated...at least 8 cups of water, if not more. Staying hydrated boosts metabolism.

4) Trade out high calorie foods for more fruits and veggies, which are naturally less in calories and better for overall health and longevity.

ALSO...do you do any strength training? Building muscle helps to burn more calories, and people who do 3 sessions of strength training per week lose more weight, too...I think I read that in Reader's Digest too!

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.