Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Setting the resistance on the elliptical machine
cindigal posted:
We have new machines in our exercise room at the apartments, thank god. I love the ellipticals because they have the arm bars that you you can do the arms at the same time. The programs you can set the resistance and levels. I have the same problem from the old elliptical machine, I want a good cardio workout, but at the same time I don't want my upper legs to get muscular.

That happened to me with the old machine, I only set the resisistance to 3 which isn't that much, and was on it for 30 minutes, for 3 times a week. I was discouraged that my thighs were getting too muscular and I couldn't tell if i was losing weight. I liked the fact the clothes looked good on me, but I want to see the change on the scale. Should I change the resistance to 1 on the machines and go a longer time...??

cindigal

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.