Skip to content
How much shoud a fit, 75 year old man weigh?
bartoned posted:
I am a male, age 75, weight 172, height 6'. I exercise (stationary bike, walking, light weights) 5-6 days a week and am in very good shape. A friend is a nurse who contends that I should weigh about 5 pound more. She says there are studies showing that, at my age, a little more weight is better for your health. I can't find the studies. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

PetuniaPea responded:
I do know that there have been studies to show that...unfortunately, I don't know the names of the studies or where you can find them. Just from reading different recently published books on health, I notice that some authors mention that a little bit of fat is necessary and beneficial later in life. The key word is "little bit!"

I have noticed...just by observation...that people who live long, such as centenarians, are not obese, but they're not stick-thin either. Hope this helps!

bauer1111 responded:
Your age, weight and height plus your activity level indicate you are in an ideal and very healthy range. You also are in a healthy Body Mass Index range. A few pounds either way should matter that much. Keep up what you are doing and give thanks for your good health. However, it is always good to do research to learn more. This website has a good discussion on the ideal weight for a man. http://www.livestrong.com/article/194634-ideal-weight-for-a-man/

Duffy4569 responded:
By sheer coincidence I am also a 75 year old male who weighs 162 and my doctor keeps telling me I will live to a hundred!

deadmanwalking57 responded:
If there are studies, they should be on Pubmed.

I am 60, 5'11", and 153. I can hardly gain weight if I had to.
I was told to try to get up to 160, which I have never weighed.
I was at 159, and got into playing volleyball regularly, and dropped 5% body fat from 16 to 11.

Very low fat diet for heart disease, and lift weights, but gaining weight is just too too difficult. Great health otherwise.

DMW

kambhampati responded:
U are perfect!

Just_The_Facts_Maam responded:
I am a male, age 62, height 5'11" and weigh 140. 145 with my clothes, keys and cell phone but no shoes. I feel great. I was about 165 and had those love handles two years ago. Started riding my bike to work, about 13 miles each way and dropped down to this weight. I've retired and have not been riding as much for the last 6 months, but have stayed right around 140. Eat what I want, do physical work around the house and at my son's house. I would have to work at gaining weight and don't see the reason. The link supplied by bauer111 had no new information...so, I'll believe the advice to gain when it shows up in a reputable medical journal.

Alandun replied to Just_The_Facts_Maam's response:
I'm male, age 83, height 5'10", 140/145 lbs., in my ideal weight range, exercise 75 min. five times a week. Havn't had a cold for years and feel great.Quite obviously those that look after themselves intelligently live longer and better. Regards to all.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.