Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Returning to Moderate Exercise
mcote1975 posted:
I am a 38 year old woman who was diagnosed with hypothyroid a year ago and have shed approx 8 of the lbs I had gained (I am 5 ft 123lbs). I have been a runner off and on since high school but have the tendency to try to get back to higher mileage/faster paces than my older and heavier body can handle so I sometimes injure myself and then quit easily.

As a naturally athletic person, I KNOW what I should do so as not to do too much too fast, but I feel the C25K program is too easy. Does anyone have any thoughts or a training plan even with cross training (I did cross fit for a year and the competitor in me loved it but I was bulking up too quickly and took on the appearance of a linebacker ...which wasn't the direction I'd like to go. I'd like to look leaner not stockier!!)

Any advanced beginner/other training plans or ideas would be extremely helpful!!

Thank you

PetuniaPea responded:
Hey there! I was eerily similar to you about two years ago when I was 36. I was 5ft tall and at my heaviest ever...121lbs! I also was borderline hypothyroid, not sure if I still am. I didn't have any symptoms really, so it didn't seem like a big deal. I haven't gotten my latest numbers to see if I am still borderline hypothyroid.

But in about a year I went from 121lbs to 105lbs and have been maintaining ever since. I just took my time and didn't do anything crazy, just improved my diet and exercised sporadically (I could have done better). Some of my weight loss journey is chronicled here (April 2012 through September 2012): http://thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

I don't have any advice about any cross training plans (not my thing), but I DO know that whatever you decide, you can take up yoga or pilates to keep yourself from looking like a linebacker! Both activities elongate your muscles and make you stand taller. And ease into any and all exercise! Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 54 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.