Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
walking versus jogging
gennifer1215 posted:
How long do you have to walk per day to see results

AntonioPablo responded:
Hi gennifer ,

see, walking and jogging has their pros and cons resp. like doing jogging 30 minutes we can burn 2x calories, but we will feel tired after jogging , but while walking we can walk as much we can because walking will not cause tiredness early and can lose more than 2x calories , we can walk for 1.5 hours easily and effortlessly !!

so it depends on everybodys stamina and all !!

AlexiaSmith responded:
[a name="spans0e0"> Walking and jogging are slightly different activities that affect the human anatomy. Walking is a good activity for people who aren't comfortable with jogging. But running and jogging allows you to burn extra sugar and carbohydrates in the body by giving you extra bursts of energy.

[a name="spans0e1"> [a name="spans0e2"> [a name="spans0e3"> [a name="spans0e4"> Walking is easier compared to jogging but less beneficial toward losing weight and building stamina. The chances of a heart attack are less when you regularly walk or jog.

[a name="spans0e11"> It's strongly suggested to run harder, people who are uncomfortable doing most physical activities should see quick results. Also keeping your heart rate balanced is very important for avoiding any kind of negative impact on the body like rapid heart palpitations.

Jogging is always better than walking, but it should be shaped according to your body structure, capacity, physical condition and other such limitations you may have.

http://www.workoutworld.com/

KKKK65 replied to AlexiaSmith's response:
Walking specially brisk walking is very benificial to controll diabties,weight,etc. one can brsk walk for two hours without rest,in jogging one is tired very soon hence brisk walking,swimming is the best option

Ellen4life responded:
I usually walk 3 miles (53 minutes) or 2 miles (35 minutes) when I can. (weather permitting) Personally, I work out 6 days a week. I am presently maintaining my weight. When I began to lose, this is how I usually walked.I lost an average of 2-3 lbs a week. My street has 1 steep hill and our driveway has a slight incline. This determines how many cycles I make. I can't handle the "jarring" that jogging makes.

gennifer1215 replied to AntonioPablo's response:
Thanks

gennifer1215 replied to Ellen4life's response:
thanks for your response

Rwr8227 responded:
I am 76 years old. I walk every afternoon, weather permitting. I walk one mile from my home and one mile back. I also have some exercise equipment in my barn that I use. So far, I am successful in keeping my weight down without having to diet. After each walk, I check my heart rate and find it comfortable.

brunosbud replied to Rwr8227's response:
Rwr8277, thx for your comments. Would it be safe to say that you take no medications on a regular basis? Also, can you speak of what you have learned (or experienced) from your walks? Do you pass other fellow walkers on a consistent basis or do you see familiar faces only sporadically?

I've learned much from my daily walking. I've come to the conclusion that common "lifestyle" disease, today, are the result of "toxic" diet that illicit a sort of autoimmune reaction, whereby, our bodies "turn" on itself. Of course, Diabetes and Rheumatoid Arthritis are classic examples of this phenomenon. But, I think Obesity, Hypertension and Lipidemia are autoimmune reactions, too.

The true medicine and most direct treatment to counteract these "self-attacking" diseases is exercise.
  • Walking is simple.
  • Walking is physically and mentally empowering.
  • Walking is effective medicine for every modern lifestyle disease on the planet.

I've carried a pedometer for many, many years. I average 6 miles/day, 365. I am a T2 Diabetic and control my blood sugar entirely without drugs through diet and walking. My dogs accompany me, always, and they are my doctor-psychiatrist-trainer-life coach and ever-faithful companions.

TerryG47 responded:
I am 65 years of age, and for myself, I prefer walking to Jogging. When I began jogging a few years ago, it left me tired and sore, and I also had concerns about damage to bones and joints from the constant 'pounding' effect.
I am 5' 9" and 158 lbs, and in pretty good health, normal blood pressure and cholesterol.
I walk 4-5 miles in the morning, and another 3 miles in the evening. I found that I don't feel any benefit until after 4 miles.
Maybe it takes the first three miles to wake up the body and get energized. I have read other articles that says that brisk walking is actually more beneficial than jogging. But I also believe that it depends on ones metabolism.

Rwr8227 replied to brunosbud's response:
The only medication I take regularly is Lovastatin to keep my cholesterol low. I try to take a brisk walk every afternoon on a lightly traveled road in front of my home. I also use a pedometer, but not always as I have been doing this walk often. I have established a land mark just over a mile from my house at which I turn around and walk back.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

8 habits of successful dieters
8 habits of successful dieters More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.