Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Elderly and sitting down
    An_251706 posted:
    What is it about the pelvis that makes it hard for an elderly person to sit down slowly? I notice that they ease into starting to sit, and all of a sudden just fall into the seat...what is this exactly and does it actually have anything to do with the pelvic girdle?
    AlexiaSmith responded:
    Pelvic girdle pain, often referred as symphysis pubis dysfunction, is a type of joint pain. This is due to hormone flow in the body of a certain age. It's quite difficult to cure this problem effectively, but by strengthening the muscles to support the body parts affected it's possible. While exercising to overcome this problem doesn't refine or tighten the joints touched by hormones, it helps to make the muscles strong enough to bear the pain at a higher level.

    Mainly core muscles are targeted to be strengthened, which lies in the transverse abdominal region. The type of workouts depends on the level of pain, movement and weight of the body. Anybody can do exercises in different phases to overcome the pain. Transverse abdominal activation deals with engaging and identifying the problems related to the stomach. It's best that one practices belly breathing. Pelvic tilt and hip bridges are effective for the body as well. And squat exercise provides activeness to the lower part of the body. Kegel exercise is also very important in order to improve the muscle tone. This is mostly used by women, but men can also perform action to strengthen their pubococcygeal muscles.

    Helpful Tips

    Interval TrainingExpert
    Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    81 of 99 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.