Skip to content
Elderly and sitting down
An_251706 posted:
What is it about the pelvis that makes it hard for an elderly person to sit down slowly? I notice that they ease into starting to sit, and all of a sudden just fall into the seat...what is this exactly and does it actually have anything to do with the pelvic girdle?

AlexiaSmith responded:
Pelvic girdle pain, often referred as symphysis pubis dysfunction, is a type of joint pain. This is due to hormone flow in the body of a certain age. It's quite difficult to cure this problem effectively, but by strengthening the muscles to support the body parts affected it's possible. While exercising to overcome this problem doesn't refine or tighten the joints touched by hormones, it helps to make the muscles strong enough to bear the pain at a higher level.

Mainly core muscles are targeted to be strengthened, which lies in the transverse abdominal region. The type of workouts depends on the level of pain, movement and weight of the body. Anybody can do exercises in different phases to overcome the pain. Transverse abdominal activation deals with engaging and identifying the problems related to the stomach. It's best that one practices belly breathing. Pelvic tilt and hip bridges are effective for the body as well. And squat exercise provides activeness to the lower part of the body. Kegel exercise is also very important in order to improve the muscle tone. This is mostly used by women, but men can also perform action to strengthen their pubococcygeal muscles.

http://www.workoutworld.com/

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 65 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.