Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
walking
An_252060 posted:
I am a 41 year old female. Throughout high school and beyond I have always remained active. I used to participate in long distance running but that took a toll on my knees, esp. I am what the doctors describe as high risk for osteoporosis so I have been encouraged to walk at least 30 minutes per day, do resistance training and to eat healthy. With 4 children, following these 4 simple steps has not always been easy, but as I get older, I am realizing the importance of "following the doctors orders."

brunosbud responded:
When I was a boy, my mom and dad use to wake me up at 5AM to walk with them! Early on, I hated it but eventually got to the point where I came to love it. There's something really neat (and safe) about walking along empty streets in the dark, not a sound to be heard except your breathing. I never forgot the walks with my parents...I'm 56 and I'm still walking at 5 in the morning.

Point is this. What's good for you is good for your children, too. If you get them to do the "4 simple things" by your side, everyday, they will never forget it...Even when they're 56 years old (with a grandchild in the oven!), they'll treasure the memory and love you more than you'll ever know.

Showing your children the fundamentals of good health is the greatest long term investment a parent can make. Period.

denipink replied to brunosbud's response:
brunosbud, Your post really "rang a bell" with me!

My son is now 24, at 6 feet and about 230 lbs. He loves his computer and does not often exercise.

He grew up with very active grands but with a very inactive (and addicted) mom. I have made efforts through the years to get him to walk with me but he told me he did not like walks so that was that.

I have lived a sedentary life at my best and have made efforts here and there to at least walk but my efforts, good at the time, did not last.

Today, i am a large woman fighting with all my might to win my health back. I need to be active. I need to at least take a walk each day, but, again, i make strides and then i just sit.

I have no idea what it would take to get me going. I wish i had someone to walk with but i don't so that cannot be a factor.

I don't know. At least i am talking about it. That might mean i am close to taking that first step again.

I hope so because i can only get sicker. I sure won't get better without a healthy diet and fitness plan. I am working hard on the diet part and i am really pleased with all the changes i have made. For now that has got to be enough, i guess, but really...i know without the exercise i am only making a half hearted effort and that just isn't nearly good enough when it comes down to being well again.

Denise in Ontario, Canada

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Change your workout
A lack of motivation may mean that your workout is too tedious. For example, if your doing lots of mind-numbing slow cardio, you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.