Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Allergic Reaction After Running
kelsmrrw posted:
Hi everyone!

I'm a 20-year-old female who has been avidly athletic her entire life. I've never had asthma, never had breathing problems, and I'm the type who only stops exercising due to body soreness versus being winded. I go to college in Los Angeles where I regularly run 5-8 miles daily with ease. After having returned home to Tahoe for summer a few weeks ago, I ran on a trail which I've ran religiously for years with no issue, yet once I finished running I began experiencing symptoms of an allergic reaction: one I experience when I eat certain foods I'm allergic to (peaches, mangos, & almonds). My throat swelled up, I had intense chest pain, and I could hardly breathe. I assumed it was due to the high levels of pollen, but not even my doctor could figure out what happened. A few weeks passed without any incident once I stuck with a treadmill indoors, but a couple of days ago the exact same thing happened while on the treadmill only it was much worse: I couldn't breathe and this time, I also had an extremely swollen face. Nothing like this has ever happened to me in my years of vigorous exercise. Also, I would like to note that the symptoms do not start until I'm finished running; nothing happens during.

Please help! I've been terrified to exercise for the past week and it's killing me.

AntonioPablo responded:
it may due to change of water; it do happen.

Pollen may be the factor, but in allergic mater, it cannot be firmly said...it will require thorough testing.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 56 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.