Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Interval Training - for Walking?
An_246571 posted:
Is there such a thing for Walking, and if so, any suggestions on how to do it? I have not been a walker until recently, and typically have done workouts at home or in hotel rooms while traveling on business. But I recently had shoulder surgery, so I can't do the usual workouts I had been used to. My physical therapist suggested walking, and I have been doing that in my neighborhood (which is hilly), starting with one mile. I have been extending that to two, with a goal of getting in 4-5 miles/day and speeding up to try to get it to 1 mile in 14 minutes or less , but I don't want to run, either. Is this a reasonable pace? (ps - I am 60 and in relatively good health)

brunosbud responded:
It astounds how so many people think walking can't be exercise. Walking is the greatest preventative medicine you can possibly practice. And, if that's the case, walking up a hill is even greater. If I lived in a highrise, I'd take the stairs everyday of my life!

According to a recent study,
walking 30 minutes a day worked nearly twice as well as the prescription drug metformin in preventing diabetes.

Japan adopted the idea to walk 10,000 steps, daily, 40 years ago. While the obesity rate in the US has reached 1 in 3 adults, it's 1 in 30 in Japan.

btw I average 13,000. That's 10,000 miles every 5 years.

AntonioPablo responded:
I will suggest you to start your walking, and extend it in the week interval, means in weeks interval the body is also get used to the walking.

same with all exercise and workouts.

@brunosbud : i am very impressed with japan's decision to adopt that policy; and its the only reason the japanis worked very well in 60's and 70's

Anon_133731 responded:
Hi - II-fW;
I am an endurance walker-I walk Half Marathons pretty regularly. I train with a team and have been doing this since 2001, I am 77.

Yes, there is such a thing as Interval training for Walkers. We are told to do this once a week. It is really the same thing that the runners do.
Warm up for 5 - 10 minutes at an easy pace (so you could talk easily)
Ramp up you speed -still walking, but using your best leg, arm, hip technique - at a pace that makes you unable to talk more than a word at a time. Do that for beginning about 1-2 minutes.
Then go back to your able to talk pace, etc, etc.
Try it, get your pace up to 14.5 - 15 minute miles and go do a 5 or 10K! nancywalks

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

8 habits of successful dieters
8 habits of successful dieters More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.