Skip to content
Post Gastric Bypass help
nanagee posted:
I had gastric bypass surgery several years ago and went from 320 down to 190. I am struggling with losing the last 50 lbs. What can I do outside of exercise, which I walk 5 miles a day and also have to climb 30 steps to get to my front door (not to mention taking in groceries). My hair has become brittle, I am b12 deficient and I can't get the weight off. I am becoming depressed. My blood pressure is still elevated even with the weight down. I can't eat spaghetti, bread or baked chicken. too dry. I don't to ice cream or sweets or colas. Any suggestions.. thanks

sleepwatcher responded:
I, too have had gastric bypass. The obvious I see, your B12 deficiency, hair, depression.... Have you addressed them. You need 70gms of protein a day, take B12 shots or sublingual (2500 mcg), also add Biotin supplement (3000-5000 mcg). Your protein and the Biotin will help your hair. Have you had your thyroid checked lately. That can be the root of your symptoms and issues, too. (TSH, T4, etc.). Your doing good with the foods you don't eat.
Sleep apnea can cause BP to be high. Ever have sleep study?
Can you get help from your surgeon? Sit down and see what you are really eating. The depression can be helped with the above, B12 and checking thyroid. If your depression affects your everyday life.... Need to see a therapist.
Hope some of this has been of some help....

goofygal responded:
I had a gastric bypass 18yrs ago. I was 315 before surgery lowest 165 in first year. I have gained up to 199 and lost down to 175 presently. I also have B12 & iron deficiency, hair loss was a problem before I began eatting a better diet. I eat fresh foods no processed, meat, vegs, fruit, & fat free dairy, only 100 percent whole grain bread. I exercise everyday, pilates, wii fit, & bike a couple times a week 21mi. I have never reached my drs goal of 145 (I am 5'4) but I'm still working on it! If you can ride a bike I recomend you do - it's has changed my body like no other exercise. I have had 2 neck surgerys and limited physically. I try to ride 2 hours twice a week. I hope this is helpful.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Music For Running
My research shows if you workout to the music you like, you will workout to the maximum time you have (will not cut the workout short). The ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.