Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Excessive sweating and ammonia smell
floridalady posted:
When I exercise intensely, and get very sweaty, I smell ammonia. Most exercise leaves me exhausted and I am very fatigued for at least 24 hours. Any thoughts?

brunosbud responded:
It's about your diet and amount of water you drink. A high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet is generally what leads to sweat smelling of ammonia. When protein (as opposed to, normally, carbohydrates and fats) are broken down to produce glucose, ammonia is produced as waste and secreted through the pores of your skin. This is not uncommon with diabetics who tend to maintain a high protein-low carb diet. Occasionally, I go to my neighborhood gym and I can smell it.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/information/nutrition/ammonia-sweat-smell.htm

PS: The first rule of exercise? Drink water, before. Drink water, during. Drink water, after.

kattys responded:
Your carb level is too low. You are burning protein/muscle, which is creating the ammonia smell. Your body is in ketosis...its a very common side-effect.

I would suggest you have a good carb snack and also consume spring water and you'll be fine.

floridalady replied to brunosbud's response:
I don't have a low carb diet. I also hydrate well because I have had problems with being lightheaded and my doc thought I might be dehydrated. I drink a lot of water.

floridalady replied to kattys's response:
I don't have a low carb diet. And I drink lots of water.

brunosbud replied to floridalady's response:
There are conditions that prevent digestion and metabolization of carbohydrates. A classic example of such a genetic anomaly is lactose intolerance. In this case, the body does not produce sufficient amounts of lactase, the enzyme required to break down lactose, the complex sugar present in milk.

There are also some diseases that interfere with the digestive process of carbs, too. Celiac disease is one such example. If you suffer from chronic indigestion or stomach upset, I'd advise you talk with your physician and mention the ammonia smell and see what he/she has to say.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.