Skip to content
Exercise for the Handicapped
An_252667 posted:
What sort of exercise can a handicapped person do who is morbidly obese and fighting several ailments?

I am a 62 year old female, weigh 292 pounds, have diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and arthritis which has left me with no bone left in my knees, thus confining me to an electric wheelchair. Surgeons will not do knee replacements due to my weight and health conditions. I need to lose weight then can possibly get knee replacements, but since I can't walk, exercise is very limited to me. What can I do? Diet is so slow due to no exercise I become discouraged, depressed and finally will quit dieting.

brunosbud responded:
Swimming and Resistance Bands are my top two suggestions. Both, are "game changers" and can provide immediate quality of life benefits if you can do one thing: Stop saying "no" to exercise.

Think You're Too Heavy to Exercise? - Part 1

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=584

The very conditions you mentioned...diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and arthritis...respond quite favorably to low level exercise programs. But, you've already accepted the "no exercise" option...

"...One of the biggest mistakes people commit is making assumptions about what they can't do without checking with someone who knows how to determine that. Don't be one of those people.The first step here is to sort out what really can't be done (or changed) from what can. That begins with a visit to the doctor, to get a medically approved exercise prescription, telling you what you can and can't do. Tell your doctor you want to start exercising and ask for advice on what to do and what to avoid. Many doctors aren't trained in exercise science, so if the advice you get is too vague or general to be helpful to you, go see a certified personal trainer to get a fitness plan that you can take back to your doctor for approval or modification. Between these two sources, you should get ideas to start safely..."

Good Luck!

An_252667 replied to brunosbud's response:
I appreciate your suggestions. Unfortunately, you don't know all of my conditions. All three compartments of my knees are gone. By "gone" I mean there is nothing there. I cannot do any resistance bands with my legs at all. The same condition of arthritis is in my shoulders, but I do still have "joints" there and can do upper body resistance type exercise from my wheelchair. But, it's not enough to achieve what I am trying to achieve. I need to lose the weight. I'm in a catch 22 situation. I want to have both knees replaced. Surgeons say "No" and blame their reluctance on my weight. Replacements would allow me to walk again and exercise.

You seem to believe I'm an excuse rider and quitter. You couldn't be more wrong. So, accusing me of accepting the "no exercise" option is unfair and judgmental when you don't have any idea about who I am or the kind of person I am. I asked for suggestions on exercise, more cardio, fat burning kinds. Honestly, I have upper body workout equipment such as resistance bands, hand weights, and I have the Ab-Doer developed by John Abdo who personally talked with me for over an hour before I purchased the equipment. He felt portions of the workout would be more damaging to my legs. So, I skip that part. I just feel there is more I need to do to speed up my metabolism and lose enough weight so I can have knee replacement surgery and walk again.

brunosbud replied to An_252667's response:
You're very welcome. I hope you get the surgery for your legs.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

losing weight
I am losing weight by counting calories. I am half way to my goal of losing 34 pounds. I find loseit.com helpful (or the app). More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.