Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
osteoarthritis and cardio exercising
linguisticat posted:
I have osteoarthritis in one knee and one ankle. I cannot walk long distances and running or jogging is out of the question. My pyschotherapist says I need 40 minutes of cardio exercise 3 x weekly for the mental health benefits I need. Any suggestions on how to do this would be welcome.
The funny thing is, I work (hard) at an animal shelter - as long as I am constantly moving I can do a surprising amount. I just can't walk a block down the street. I have an elliptical trainer at home but am afraid to try it since I got the diagnosis that I will eventually need a knee replacement because the cartilage on that knee is almost gone.

jason29 responded:
Hi, I have arthritis in both my knees iam 32y/o. I would suggest swimming in a pool if u can get to one if not just ride a stationary bike with the pedels on very light where u feel like your gliding. That helps me I also bough this power slide which it basically mimics like skating it has little booties that goes over your shoes and you glide back and forth. But you may ask your physical therapist for better exercises. I hope this helps"665

Alden007 replied to jason29's response:
Here are really nice and most informative post. I would like to say thanks to you that you share this post here with us. I hope that you will continue to post here with us.

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Ab ExercisesExpert
As mentioned in the Losing Belly Fat post, you cannot spot reduce, but you can tighten muscles under excess fat. As a result you could ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 54 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.