Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How to exercise with chronic back pain
An_253177 posted:
Where do I begin? My Dr. says to walk but that is even getting hard to do. After I walk, lower back and both knees are just so painful. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions, please. I have had this chronic back pain for 13yrs. It was a slip and fall on the job. I can not even do a lot of things that I could do a year ago. It's so sad.

PetuniaPea responded:
Sorry to hear about your pain. I've had chronic neck pain for 12 years now! Helpful tips that have helped me manage over the years:

Try to sleep throughout the night on your back. Notice I italicized try, because it's a hard one for me to do!

Check out books on back pain from your local library. I have one at home right now, and I'm doing some of the neck stretches...and I'll try to make it a daily thing...

Find a good pair of supportive walking shoes...when your feet aren't comfortable or supported properly, low back pain ensues. And start out by walking slowly, like you're on a stroll.

Walking is good, because it increases endorphins, which will help with the perception of pain. But, you can do other activities that raise your heart rate...yoga, light dancing to music, find an easy exercise DVD that won't aggravate your back or knees, and my favorite: a rebounder...that's a mini-trampoline...you can find my post here from a few weeks ago called "Bounce your way to good health." I had posted a few links on the benefits of rebounding, and how it is a no-impact exercise that's great for people with injuries/pain/arthritis/etc.

Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Rich is an exercise physiologist and certified diabetes educator. He is director of the New York Obesity Research Center Weight Loss Program at St. Lu...More

Helpful Tips

Interval TrainingExpert
Hello Everyone, I mentioned in my Losing Belly Fat post that aerobic exercise will help, and if you want to increase your fitness quickly ... More
Was this Helpful?
41 of 55 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.